Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I read on josh-frogs, that R. benedicta ,not as most R.-species, is more surface orientated. So is it best to use a L or H orientated tank for them - what are your experiences?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm not a frog expert (at all) but depending on how many you plan on getting, maybe do best of both worlds and get a 29 gal high? That way it's kinda long, and kinda tall. Or if you're going exo-terra/zoo med route, maybe a long one that's at least 18" tall?

·
Premium Member
489 Posts
I keep my 4 benedicta in a large (and tall) custom viv. It would be somewhere around 28 gals and is 20W X 24H X 18"D. They seem happy and are everywhere from the leaf litter to the highest branch. It has a HUGE bromeliad inside that seems to be benedicta central.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Could surface-oriented also mean a predilection for planes? Broad leaves, elevated flats of logs? The males seem to enjoy The Stage, haha

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
It doesn’t make any difference to be honest.

In the wild, frogs climb trees hundreds of feet up ... they will never be able to accomplish this in our tanks.
So the point is, the frogs could care less if they have an extra 6” to roam ... build the tank however you’d like it. The frogs will use whatever space you give them.

As far as Benedicta go, in my experience,
Shucushuyaca tend to be a bit bolder & easier to breed ... whereas Pampa Hermosa hide more, and are a little more difficult to get going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts

In the wild, frogs climb trees hundreds of feet up ... they will never be able to accomplish this in our tanks.
So the point is, the frogs could care less if they have an extra 6” to roam ... build the tank however you’d like it. The frogs will use whatever space you give them.

Shucushuyaca tend to be a bit bolder & easier to breed ... whereas Pampa Hermosa hide more, and are a little more difficult to get going.

Do you have any literature/documentation of them climbing hundreds of feet vertically? I’m highly interested in seeing this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Ok. 30-40 ft. Semantics. *eyeroll*
Don’t be a [email protected]

Wasn’t being sarcastic, genuinely interested in knowing more about the natural behavior of dart frogs(seriously no sarcasm).

Reactions: Tijl

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Wasn’t being sarcastic, genuinely interested in knowing more about the natural behavior of dart frogs(seriously no sarcasm).

I was being sarcastic.
I’m just sassing you. Lol

But no. I believe the highest I’ve read somewhere was 40 ft or something like that. (And it took about an hr for the frog to do it).

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
If you don't already have a vivarium, and are asking so you can choose the best one, here's my suggestion.
Don't sacrifice floor space for height. They lean more terrestrial. They want, and will use, plenty of floor space.
At the same time, they will totally take advantage of some extra height.
With most thumbnails I go taller, with less floor space.
Benedicta are different.

Bigger groups tend to be bolder, especially with a nice, big viv to explore. As with any thumbnail or pumilio I've worked with, the more places to hide you give them, the more you see them. If they know cover is 2 hops away, they feel safer, and come out more. Broad leafed plants with overlapping leaves provide cover, as will a good bed of leaf litter.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts

Nick was probably referring to Standard Sirensis, formerly known as Highland Lamasi...and he measured from sea level.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Nick was probably referring to Standard Sirensis, formerly known as Highland Lamasi...and he measured from sea level.:rolleyes:

LOL, ahhh now the numbers are making sense

Reactions: Gamble
1 - 20 of 22 Posts