Dendroboard banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Taking some inspiration from this, I set up a breeding tank measuring 45 x 90 x 55 cm with 4 pairs and provided flighted fruit flies dispensed from a plastic trap...

However, I found that while some were able to ambush and stalk the flighted FF at corners and top edges of their viv; others were not doing so well and had to be given supplementary addition of regular vestigial-winged FFs and other small insects.
I think you should try putting a lot of isopods and springtails in there too

· Registered
46 Posts
That was what I did after I found that not all the frogs could survive on flighted FFs; vestigial FFs and other food insects such as springtails and aphids were added daily to ensure that all the viv inhabitants had a fair chance at nutrition. :D

· Registered
10 Posts
Hi!!
Actually i got a reproduction group of R. benedicta 1.2.0 and i recently have my first tadpoles. My benedictas are very very shy, the male is more bold, but in the moment he notice someone is moving in the room, he runs away. The two females like to hide, so if i want to see my frogs, i have to sit in a chair at certain hours and be so quiet. My benedictas vivarium is not very big, but it is very planted. I use tree fern panel (xaxim) and the ferns are allover. I also have bromeliads, orchids and ficus. The like to stay inside of the ficus and from behind or within the bromeliads. do you think that the problem of their shy behaviour is the size of the terrarium? they are in an exo terra of 30x30x45(tall) cm
Alfer

· Registered
194 Posts
Hi!!
Actually i got a reproduction group of R. benedicta 1.2.0 and i recently have my first tadpoles. My benedictas are very very shy, the male is more bold, but in the moment he notice someone is moving in the room, he runs away. The two females like to hide, so if i want to see my frogs, i have to sit in a chair at certain hours and be so quiet. My benedictas vivarium is not very big, but it is very planted. I use tree fern panel (xaxim) and the ferns are allover. I also have bromeliads, orchids and ficus. The like to stay inside of the ficus and from behind or within the bromeliads. do you think that the problem of their shy behaviour is the size of the terrarium? they are in an exo terra of 30x30x45(tall) cm
Alfer
Hi

I see you are from Spain, I planning to buy some frogs soon but I dont know from where..Do you have any advice? Terribilis or Viridis exotic or something else?

· Registered
3,029 Posts
Lighting is definitely a factor. But I've found so are humidity and space. Larger space and higher humidity help me see my benedicta (they love coming out right after I mist the tank). Also, when I most heavily enough for my front glass to fog up I see them out. It's harder to see in the tank but it seems like the frogs are more comfortable.

· Registered
2,522 Posts
I personally know someone who keeps/breeds them and ive seen them.

From my personal experience, they were pretty bold, and even sat there and watched as he pulled their eggs.

From what he told me, they are not nearly as difficult to breed as the rumor says. In fact he stated that he found it quite easy to breed them. He also stated that once they get started, there is a constant supply of eggs.

He had 20+ froglets/juvis from his breeding pair currently and has had many more in the past plus about 3 clutches that i personally saw him pull. They were laying everywhere ... on the glass, on the leaves, in film canisters ... etc ... it was pretty crazy.

The few people that i know that have them all keep them in horizontal enclosures due to their speed and they are seeming to thrive.

I plan on getting a few eventually from this person and i look forward to it.

· Registered
981 Posts
What's everybodies clutch sizes? I had anywhere from 3 eggs to 9 eggs.
I personally know someone who keeps/breeds them and ive seen them.

From my personal experience, they were pretty bold, and even sat there and watched as he pulled their eggs.

From what he told me, they are not nearly as difficult to breed as the rumor says. In fact he stated that he found it quite easy to breed them. He also stated that once they get started, there is a constant supply of eggs.

He had 20+ froglets/juvis from his breeding pair currently and has had many more in the past plus about 3 clutches that i personally saw him pull. They were laying everywhere ... on the glass, on the leaves, in film canisters ... etc ... it was pretty crazy.

The few people that i know that have them all keep them in horizontal enclosures due to their speed and they are seeming to thrive.

I plan on getting a few eventually from this person and i look forward to it.

· Registered
657 Posts
Is everyone pulling their eggs, if so where are they finding them? I have had several tads from my group but I only notice them after they have been transported. I have yet to see a single group of eggs but they have steadily produced for me over the last few months, sneaky little buggers...

· Registered
1,188 Posts
I quit pulling after I morphed over 100 tads, not that it slows them down any as they don't feed their tadpoles.

They laid pretty consistently in rear facing horizontal film canisters about 6-10" off the ground. They will also lay in the leaf litter and I've even found a clutch or two on overlapping philodendron leaves.

· Registered
2,123 Posts
reviving this thread a little....I recently aquired 6 juvies. I'd love to see some examples of the vivs of anyone who's been successful with these guys? It seems they spend a large amount of time in the leaf litter vs. up top?

· Registered
10 Posts
reviving this thread a little....I recently aquired 6 juvies. I'd love to see some examples of the vivs of anyone who's been successful with these guys? It seems they spend a large amount of time in the leaf litter vs. up top?

I keep 1 male with 2 female Ranitomeya benedicta, Shucushuyacu-Morph, in a Terrarium, 80cm x 60cm x 60cm. Together with a pair Dendropsophus ebraccatus. They can be found always upstairs, seldom at the bottom. In the morning and sometimes in the evening the silent buzzing call can be heard. At different heights some photo film boxes are placed. They are used for laying 5-7 eggs.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.