Dendroboard banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you all attach your window screening to the eggcrate? I plan on wrapping the eggracte twice with the screening but I'm not sure how to secure it after I wrap it. I tried using twist ties but they won't fit through the screen.

There's a lot of excess screen also because the tank is a bow front so it doesn't wrap evenly.

P.S. - The soldering iron method of cutting eggcrate worked like a hot knife through butter.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I used to use epoxy - time consuming and messy. Now I just put a single layer of screen wrapped under the edges, secure it all around with those compression clips used to clip small documents, then I use fishing monofilament to wrap it - knotting it when done....off come the clips and voila! Quick, cheap and lasts forever.

Hope this helps,

Alan

·
Registered
210 Posts
why dont you cut a bigger whole in the window screen so the twist ties fit and you can tie them down cause thats what i do. or you can go to radio shack and buy smaller twist ties...

·
Registered
399 Posts
We use the same mesh as Josh. It's meant for needlepoint. We don't attach it, as it's thicker than screening, just cut it exactly to size to cover the egg crate.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I also use silicone.....

·
Registered
390 Posts
Rather than using screen, I use women's nylon's, and secure it with any of a variety of materials (sticks, stones, folding, etc.) Cheap, flexible, and holds the substrate back. Just be sure to clean them to make sure that all detergents are removed from washing if they've been used before.

Nylons also work really well for fruit fly culture covers. It's just a little uncomfortable buying a pack when you're a guy. =)

·
Registered
329 Posts
No really, the nylons are for my frog tanks at home.....
I am not really going to wear them.... :oops: :D :shock:
Will my girlfriend believe me when I tell her the same thing when she finds my stash of large size nylons.... :p

I will stick with going to Home Depot and getting fiberglass mesh window screen for now.... HaHaHa

Later,
Brad

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
OneTwentySix said:
Nylons also work really well for fruit fly culture covers. It's just a little uncomfortable buying a pack when you're a guy. =)
Hey, at least viv construction doesn't require tampons or maxi pads. :twisted:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Arklier,
Let's not go there.... :lol:
I am sure that someone has read your post and is now finding a way to use that stuff as a background or something...... You just have to be carefull covering the maxi pads with the silicone and coco fiber......:wink:
HaHaHa
If it does happen I will be shopping for that on-line. :eek:

G

·
First off... thats just gross :roll: . What is the best way to cut egg crate? I finally have what I need to start on the first section of my viv but was wondering if there is an easy efficient way of cutting it. Prolly a dumb question so thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sorry Pwat for being gross..... :eek:
Us froggers here in Washington state are a little "different"

I use a hacksaw like saw. Basicall it is a hacksaw blade mounted into a knife handle. Works great for me and they are probably sold at Home Depot or the likes pretty cheap....

G

·
Yeah.... you should be :wink: !!!! Alrighty, I have one so I think I am going to start to cut it right now...... thanks for the advice.
Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts