Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day, humans.

Okay... before you even say it, yes I know there are fifty billion threads here on supplements. However, there are also a TON of conflicting opinions, and discussions often spiral off into the idiosyncrasies of vitamin A beta-ionone/isoprenoid chain metabolism. Good stuff, but I'm looking for a bit more bare-bones info at the moment. From what I've gathered here, a good supplementation regimen for my first batch of PDFs (leucomelas and auratus) would be:

multivitamin - Herptivite/Dendrocare/Repashy Supervite
calcium - Rep-Cal/Repashy Calcium plus
color enhancer (optional) - Repashy SuperPig

Fruit flies get dusted at every daily feeding, alternating vitamins & calcium each time. Color enhancer goes in the fly medium. Do I have that right? Any preference for the above brands? (I listed what seemed like the most popular options, I'm not using ALL of them.)

Thanks, as always... this board is the frog bible.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Super-pig should be dusted on the flies. If you are going to go with a addition to the medium you can't use a supplement that contains either vitamin E or tocopherols as the flies will store enough of it to distrupt uptake of vitamin A or D3 in the frogs.

Otherwise, yes you can rotate the dusting materials each time you feed.

Ed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
correct me if i am wrong. but can't you use paprika for enhancing colors?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
granted i have surinam cobalt's i didn't realize it wasn't a color enhancer for all PDF's, my breeder is the one who had mentioned this as he uses paprika as well. does the new superpig cover all the colors or is it color specific?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
granted i have surinam cobalt's i didn't realize it wasn't a color enhancer for all PDF's, my breeder is the one who had mentioned this as he uses paprika as well. does the new superpig cover all the colors or is it color specific?

Paprika contains beta carotene which is used for yellows and to some extent orange so it is for all colors that can be helped with carotenoids.

You can't affect/increase blue or any other color controlled by iridiopores (metallic effects like that seen in some thumbnails). You can affect, red, yellows, oranges and to a small extent greens (due to the yellow portion of green). So super pig can be used for reds, yellows, orange, and greens.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
ED, thanks for the info, is there any company possibly trying to help with blue colors and the others left out bot covered with the SUPER-PIG supplements?

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
ED, thanks for the info, is there any company possibly trying to help with blue colors and the others left out bot covered with the SUPER-PIG supplements?

You can't do anything for blues as they are controlled by iridiopores. Iridiopores do not uptake or store carotenoids. They are purine crystals formed in the tissues, that change color by reflecting light. They are not affected by anything in the diet.

Ed

·
Registered
776 Posts
Your rotation looks good especially if you are rotating several brands of multi-vitamins and calcium. I personally just rotate Repashy ICB, Rep-Cal and Herptivite. If you use superpig, you should only dust every two to three weeks. Im not sure what it is but I do recall that there is some issue if you dust with color enhancers too often.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks fellas, just wanted to confirm that I'm on the right track. Color enhancer being dusted and only used every few weeks makes things even easier.

I had heard of using paprika, but I'm a bit more comfortable with something more herp-specific. Plus I like Allen Repashy's contributions and I'm happy to support his company.

·
Registered
19,318 Posts
Your rotation looks good especially if you are rotating several brands of multi-vitamins and calcium. I personally just rotate Repashy ICB, Rep-Cal and Herptivite. If you use superpig, you should only dust every two to three weeks. Im not sure what it is but I do recall that there is some issue if you dust with color enhancers too often.
Technically you are supplementing for yellow and to some extent oranges every time you use Herptivite as it contains beta carotene. I think the issues you have in mind are due to some early attempts using straight canthaxanthin without any controls to determine dosing. In theory, this could cause liver damage or eye damage, but liver damage for that carotenoid is only documented in mammals to my knowledge and eye damage only in primates..

You can use superpig more frequently than every two or three weeks.

Ed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts