Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.
I am a new guy here, and I am still in the planning stages of my dart frog tank, and I have question for you....
I have a 29 gallon tank with a striplight that I scored for free. What would be the best flourescent tube (24") that I could put in there to support some lowlight plants? Do I need something fancy from the pet store, or will something from HD or Lowe's do the trick?

Thanks very much!
Brando

·
Registered
96 Posts
you could use the lights from lowes etx. or you could order a cf light from AH supply that you could convert a striplight into a cf fixture.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just my opinion, no proof to back it up, but i think that a full spectrum bulb would be better. those are all i use on my orchids, and from everything i hear, those are better. I have never tried normal lights so i dont know for sure, but it just stands to logic, that the more like the natural environment you can get, the better your terrarium will thrive.

·
Administrator
13,228 Posts
Pick up a retpi-glo 2.0 from a local pet store. It is ok light, but may not keep the any broms red. It is plenty for most other plants. I have them on 2 tanks and my plants/moss are doing well.

TheCheat said:
Hello all.
I am a new guy here, and I am still in the planning stages of my dart frog tank, and I have question for you....
I have a 29 gallon tank with a striplight that I scored for free. What would be the best flourescent tube (24") that I could put in there to support some lowlight plants? Do I need something fancy from the pet store, or will something from HD or Lowe's do the trick?

Thanks very much!
Brando

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The best thing is a 6500K bulb with the most lumens

The best thing is a 6500K bulb with the most lumens you can get. Mine were meant for a saltwater tank, so they are made by ZooMed. The lights they sell at lowes as "plant lights" should work well, but I havent personally used them.

Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts