Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Drylok ;)

you can use either. Just make sure you soak it with water/vinegar to cure it and make it pH inert.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What kind of ratio water: vinegar?

And it won't fall of the foam while soaking? Or do I let out dry then soak?

And does it come in colors

·
Registered
725 Posts
drylok is a latex paint concrete sealer kinda like thick paint. I have used it for making a fake buttress root tree, and most recently, a fake rock. I mix acrylic paint in with it to give it color. It is 100% waterproof, so there is no need to seal it or soak it in anything. Basically plug and play.

If you choose to use quick crete or floor grout, they need to be soaked in either water or vinegar to fully cure it and neutralize the pH. Basically, you soak it in water for a month or so and check the pH frequently until its around 7. Vinegar takes less time because it is an acid and neutralizes the pH more quickly Alternatively, you can use acrylic masonry fortifier to seal the concrete or grout and not worry about soaking it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
alright I'll give it some thought. I'm planning on a rockwall/buttress backround lol dunt you said that. Its a 75gal tank that will be from left to right 1/2 rock wall, 1/4 buttress trunk with roots forking out, and 1/4 rockwall to the right of the trunk. I think that makes sense haha. And a stream across the length of the tank made just like the rock backround in an S bend around the buttress roots.

Im thinking grout in different shades and layers with a coarse grit sandpaper to blend the colors to make it as natural as possible looking. I just need info on the process of curing and what not

·
Registered
222 Posts
hows your wall coming along? did you stick with grout? if so - how'd you go about curing it?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Even if you use an acrylic masonry fortifier you will still need to cure the grout/cement. Which should be done BEFORE you coat it.

Two problems with using it:
It will not prevent all the water from moving into the cement and increase your pH.

Most acrylic masonry fortifiers sold in the US are Poly vinyl acetate (PVA) derivatives which are not permanently waterproof. Water-resistant yes, but not waterproof. If used above the waterline they are ok, but if used below, no they are not. It even says so on the bottles. "Not for use on concrete around swimming pools."

If you want to seal cement and not cure it properly you will need to use a 100% solids two part epoxy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.