Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Added some GreatStuff to give the background some depth and wired up some vines. I'm going to coat the vines in silicone and peat moss tomorrow.

Potato quality photo... I just threw the vines in there and I kind of like the placement.

I have never used the a/c filter false bottom method before (I'm an egg crate kind of guy) but saw it in another thread and thought I'd try it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I like how you stacked the corkboard so it isn't flat, even though it does get covered by the wood. what are u thinking of putting in there?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the awesome comments. I'm not sure what I'm going to put in it. I started it after seeing (and singing up for beta testing) the "3D Printing Terrarium Kits" thread by Konton. I was also getting the itch as its been awhile since I've constructed a viv.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Great stuff! I was going to try out some corkbark, but I ended up doing my usual touch 'n foam. I'll be sure to have you as a beta tester! I'm also trying out some Matala filter foam as a false bottom. Which foam are you using? And what light is that? It looks pretty thin!

Jae Le

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great stuff! I was going to try out some corkbark, but I ended up doing my usual touch 'n foam. I'll be sure to have you as a beta tester! I'm also trying out some Matala filter foam as a false bottom. Which foam are you using? And what light is that? It looks pretty thin!

Jae Le
Awesome! Thanks, I can't wait to try it out! As far as the filter foam goes, I can't recall what brand it is, but I pick it up at Lowes. The light is a "Marineland LED Aquarium Light" from Petsmart, its the perfect size for 10 gallon verts...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't used the AC filter before so I'm kind of experimenting but I will most likely use some sort of barrier between it and the substrate.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I didn't bother using any screening material on top of the Matala, which is sort of what you are using--water penetrated readily, but the soil did not. Recently tore down that tank because I was curious about what was going on before I use the material again...no smell, no nothing...was pretty interesting. Got the material from "Frograck"-- The tank did stay a bit, just a bit, drier than the other traditional ones...but never saw any amount of drainage that had to be drawn off.. Love the wood in the viv you have, and the vines you've made. I took a spice grinder and ground up moss and mixed it with silicone thinned down and "painted" it onto the vines...makes a good start for moss growth...what you've done looks really good....keep the pictures coming...and what frogs are you planning on????

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I didn't bother using any screening material on top of the Matala, which is sort of what you are using--water penetrated readily, but the soil did not. Recently tore down that tank because I was curious about what was going on before I use the material again...no smell, no nothing...was pretty interesting. Got the material from "Frograck"-- The tank did stay a bit, just a bit, drier than the other traditional ones...but never saw any amount of drainage that had to be drawn off.. Love the wood in the viv you have, and the vines you've made. I took a spice grinder and ground up moss and mixed it with silicone thinned down and "painted" it onto the vines...makes a good start for moss growth...what you've done looks really good....keep the pictures coming...and what frogs are you planning on????
What did you use to thin the silicone? I want to try the ground-up moss thing on the vines and background.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I was able to get toluene...but it can be difficult to get unless you go to the right paint store....they looked me over really well and decided I didn't look as though me and my posse were making meth...and sold me a gallon. If you DO decide to use that---prepare for some hefty fumes. The vines that you made from steel wires...how in the world did you get the different thicknesses, and get the organics to stick to the steel??

1 - 20 of 51 Posts