Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hi, I am looking for a light bulb that is good for dart frogs and plants. something that brings out colors of the frogs nicely and can be used for plants. I am on a budget and I can only afford a bulb 15$ or less. straight foward answers please. also if you have any ideas how to build a realistic looking vivarium very cheaply please include it to.

frog dude

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
do they come in the fish tank tube bulb or are they spiral like a regular CFL? or somting else? I have a regular fish aquarium light hood so I can only get the tube bulb.

·
Registered
10,415 Posts
The bulb Zoomie is recommending is a spiral, screw in type. It is a good bulb choice. It's what I was about to recommend. You could get the 2 pack of 26 watt bulbs and a clamp-on flexible neck fixture for less than $15. You could get the bulbs and 2 fixtures for only a few dollars over the $15 mark.
Otherwise, if you decide to stick with the fixture you have, you are simply looking for an appropriately sized, 6500 K bulb. The 6500 K bulb will be the proper spectrum to grow plants and will give you good, true to life colors on your frogs and plants.

·
Registered
701 Posts
I've seen really nice cheap bulbs made by GE (the long tubes) that are 6500k. Not sure if it was t-12, t-8, olr t-5, but it was a 36" bulb that gave off 4600 lumens which is really good for a single bulb. I think it cost 5 dollars at a store called Big R. They might have them at home depot but i'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thx so much!! I thought it would be much more expensive:)

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
don't even get me started. I'v got so many chain pet store overpriced stories its not even funny. I once had two geckos and we were paying WAY to much. It was like 10 medium crickets for dollar! I now buy 20 for a dollar at reptile stores. they ended up getting sick and I had to get rid of them, though.:(

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know. I'v already got an idea of what it will cost with everything. By the way, if anybody has some dart frog viv supplies such as reptile foggers ( I need one) please post that.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Also, you don't need a fogger. I'm on the hand mist a few times daily plan. Using a cheap, $7 Menard's pump up sprayer.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do kinda need a fogger because I can't count on remembering to mist it 3-4 times every day.I do sometimes (sometimes? don't make me laugh) forget to do some stuff that need to be done daily and I want to make sure the humidity is not to low.

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
I do kinda need a fogger because I can't count on remembering to mist it 3-4 times every day.I do sometimes (sometimes? don't make me laugh) forget to do some stuff that need to be done daily and I want to make sure the humidity is not to low.
yeah but using a fogger won't rule out misting. you still need to mist.
if you do use a fogger get an external fogger not those little foggers that sit in water.
you can use the ZooMed Retifogger or you can make your own by gettign an ultrasonic fogger from the drug store.
here is a good link and some vids on DIY foggers
this one is done using a pretty common humidifier.
http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pa...ultrasonic-humidifier-journal.html#post302070

I haven't really seen this humidifier but it gives you a good idea about one.

A member on here named Andy used this really nice and small fogger that I plan on using....if I ever use a fogger.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/pl...8x24-w-pics-advice-welcome-22.html#post651879
I've seen these at Walgreens for like $30 and you just have to buy a fitting and some tubing for like $4

the cheapest viv you can make is by not doing a background and just making a false bottom or use hydroton/LECA and throw down some window screen and throw down some ABG mix and some leaf litter then put some plants in there.

If you want to do a background then the Great Stuff method isn't that expensive at all.
2 cans of great stuff..I used the red can @ $3 a piece.
2 tubes of GEII silicone @ about $5 something a piece
you might need more depending on how big your viv is gonna be. this is how much I used for a 10 gallon vert.
then you can get a bag of EcoEarth that is in a bag @ like $6.
the EcoEarth or cocofiber bricks you have to soak them in water then squeeze the water out them bake it to dry it. the stuff in the bag is good to go and only a few bucks more.

just a couple key things to a great stuff background...
shake the can really well or it won't cure right.
make sure whatever side of the tank you're working on lay the tank on the table on the back of that side....don't leave is standing up or the great stuff will droop down.
after it cures make sure you cut off the entire smooth outer layer so your silicone will stick a lot better.
Make sure you put a good layer silicone before you put the ecoearth but don't overdo it lol.
Make sure you work in spots instead of trying to do it all at once and dump a good amount of ecoearth on the silicone and press it into the silicone firmly. leave it there with the ecoearth piled up on it for a good hour or two then stand up your tank and let a bit fall off and lay it back down, this gets a lot off and gives the silicone more air circulation to cure quicker. if you leave all that ecoearth piled up it will take longer to cure.

if you need anymore info on the GS background process then let me know.
I hope I helped and good luck with your build :)

Reactions: Shinosuke

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you so much! hey, did you ever notice that the first topic of this conversation was lighting? all the way to misting?

·
Registered
2,293 Posts
Thank you so much! hey, did you ever notice that the first topic of this conversation was lighting? all the way to misting?
lulz yeah it happened all the time. that's why build threads get like 20+ pages long lol

1 - 20 of 20 Posts