Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm moving into an apartment for the summer and would like to set something up. I will be getting some custom cube tanks made for me. I'm thinking maybe something like 18"x18" footprint with two feet of height. Nothing's set in stone yet so I'll see. They will have a hinged open front and a screen top. A true HEPA filter will be connected to a tube, which will connect to the lid of a 5 gallon bucket. Inside this 5 gallon bucket will be an ultrasonic fog generator with a water reservoir. On the other side of the lid there will be PVC tubing running to fittings connecting them to the top/side of the tanks. The HEPA filter will clean the air and run it into the bucket, where it will get humidified by the fog generator to about 80-90% (with tweaking). The HEPA and fog generator will be on the same timer to run maybe like once a day for air circulation for all the tanks. I will set up a couple of these tanks.. maybe like five or so.

The plan is to have a unique environment in each one. One tank will be filled with carnivorous plants from a low nutrient bog type environment where venus fly traps may reside. Another will focus on a lowland rainforest ground environment in Surinam, filled with plants from this type of environment and a pair of D. azureus. Another will focus on a higher ground lowland rainforest tank with bromelaids and some thumbnail species such as D. pumilio or reticulatus. Another tank will focus on an Eastern African Madigascar type tank, with either mantella or some dwarf chameleons (Rhampholeon sp.). I think I may set up another tank with various species of osyter mushrooms from a more damp environment. Nothing is set in stone, these are just some ideas im throwing around for now- there is much research that needs to be done on compatability issues /care etc.. trying to keep it all natural.

Anyhow I was wondering, in one of these tanks are there any two species of Dendrobates that I could keep together, such as that may be from the same location in the wild (I will be acquiring all captive bred ofcourse, and would like to try breeding them). Example, could the pair of azureus be accompanied by some D. imitators for the upper portion of the tank or do these not even come in contact naturally in the wild? how about reticulatus? or any other species? As far as the poison dart frogs go I plan on only setting up 2 tanks with them, so does that mean I will have to choose 2 species or maybe in one of them there are 2 species that could go together as mentioned above?

That's all for now. Thanks for any help.. I'll post update as I research everything. Estimated date for setup is one month from now, ofcourse I will get the plants and all set up for a while before I acquire the livestock. I am working on some CB red eyed tree frogs right now but they have gotten too large even for my tank and won't be good this type of show with the smaller tanks.. donating to a friend later this week.

-Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
on second thought since I want to breed I'll keep it to one species per tank..

Lowland Surinam rainforest tank - Dendrobates azureus pair

Lowland rainforest cliff tank (wall of mounted bromelaids) - Dendrobates imitator group

Madagascar tank - Dwarf chameleons / golden mantella

Carnivorous plant tank - venus fly traps, pitcher plants

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Sounds like some good tank ideas to me. If you were still thinking of having any community tanks that you wanted to allow breeding, go with mixing a Dendrobates species with either a Phyllobates species or a Epipedobates species. I believe that green & black auratus, P. vittatus, and pumilio are found together in the wild, so maybe go with 2 of them... just some quick thoughts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i am still considering the community tank, but yeah they must be found together in the wild because im trying to show a different natural part of the world with each one.. there may also be some possible Phelsuma sp. geckos that could go well with them?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, so I think I'll definitely add another tank that will be all orchids and the orchid mantis or another species native to the region i choose for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts