Dendroboard banner

Darts or Mantellas???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I decided to start this topic to get some good, new ideas on a subject we all have to face often, terrarium construction. Anyway, I am no beginner to this, but I figured all the newbies could get some ideas from all of us pros, right??? Anyway, I do have a few questions for some of you.

I have been doing a few false bottom vivariums, and I usually put a layer of gravel about 2 inches deep ontop of the egg crate that I use. I don't like to use gravel, it is just the easiest, and cheapest stuff to find. Anyway, I am trying to find a good distributor for LECA (lightweight expanded clay aggragate), which I know MANY of you use. I was hoping some local shop would carry it, such as the local nurserys or home depot, but no one has even heard of it. So, if anyone knows of a good place to get it, please let me know.
On another topic, I would like to find some TWIN WALL POLYCARBONATE sheets. This is a good thing to use for lids, because it is easily cut, and it has good visibility and light transmittance. Anyway, I would like to find a good carrier for this stuff also, since, no local shops carry it either. If anyone can help me out with either of these, please do.

Now, for this topic, feel free to ask any question you have, whether you are a beginner to the hobby, or a pro, we are all friends, right??? Good luck to all of you on your "construction" projects. Atleast most frogs aren't as picky as most humans. :D

ED Parker

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
I get my clay pellets online. You have to be careful when asking for LECA because it is a brand name. I buy my clay pellets off of EBAY. A guy sells them under the name hydroton.

G

·
0 Posts
Check your yellow pages to see if there's a hydroponics shop in your area. I had one here (Virginia Hydroponics) and they had 10 liter bags of it for 12.95. They also had the plastic plant pots, like the ones BlackJungle uses in their terrarium.

G

·
0 Posts
for the twin wall poly, try an aquarium store. I have seen it in more than a few stores that are local to me.
for the clay pellets, i agree, a hydroponics store or online is your best bet

G

·
0 Posts
leca

you can get leca at airports. look in the decorative plant pots you'll find loads.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts