Dendroboard banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so a few weeks ago in the Identification Forum, I posted (er, my post was MOVED there from somewhere else) pictures of my varaderos, and the general consensus was two females.

Well, just the other day, I was in my room when the mister went off and shortly afterwards, I heard one of them calling! So much for 0.2.0...lol. Not sure which one it was, but I heard it on four occasions - three times when the mister went off the first time (in the morning), and once more yesterday.

So, now that I think I have one male (I assume only males call), and everyone thought I had at least two females, I think there's a distinct possibility that I have a 1.1 over here. The question now is, what the hell happens? How do you guys breed varaderos? Do you have to run the mister like crazy to refresh the water in the brom axles? How does this impact the life of plants that can get wet, but not SOAKING wet? They're about 6 months old - when do they start producing viable offspring?

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Why not just use a hand mister set to "stream" to fill the broms and keep the mist cycle as is? You'll only have to do it every few days and it wont affect the other plants...

My experience with imitators/intermedius has been- male calls @ 6-8 months, breeding happens sometime within the next 6 months after that.. sometimes sooner, sometimes later. They will when they want to.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I was thinking about the hand misting. That shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
From my observations with mine and what I have read is that the males mature faster then the females. My male called for 2-3 months before I found the first clutch of eggs. Not to say there were any before that but I have not seen any new frogs in the tank before the first set of eggs and tads I found. Since then I have found a not stop supply of eggs and tads. I have only seen and heard my male call I know at some point there was a discussion about females making noise(call) but cannot confirm that with mine as I have not noticed my female make any calls in hours of observations.

I don't mist anymore then I have in the past once a day for 35 seconds just make sure the humidity stays high and that they have places to drop tads off. You can use film canisters as drop off points as well as broms. Mine has used both but have used canisters more often then broms although there are 2 that they seem to favor over the others. Really nothing more that you can do they do most of the work and all you have to do is make sure the humidity is up and they have viable drop off spots. The frogs will do the rest.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts