Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions for those that have had success breeding mantellas.
I'm getting ready for this spring as my frogs will be cycled by then and I need some help.

1. How often do you check for eggs? My frogs really dislike me moving anything
Around so I tend to leave them alone. Should I be moving things more to
Get them use to it?
Myself and another guy have had eggs deposited when we left our mantellas alone for several days. Has anyone else experienced this?

2. People running water falls/pumps do you run them all the time or are they set on timers with the light cycle?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Can answer #2 with my pumps an falls i will cycle with the lights 12/12. To justify my 20k gal pool filter only runs 6hrs a day and water is always sparkling :)

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
How often do you check for eggs? My frogs really dislike me moving anything
Around so I tend to leave them alone. Should I be moving things more to
Get them use to it?
Myself and another guy have had eggs deposited when we left our mantellas alone for several days. Has anyone else experienced this?
I check every two weeks. You can also examine your females. If they were gravid one day and very skinny the next, they have laid eggs. Just remember to leave the eggs alone and cover them back up until tadpoles are fully developed. Wait until the tadpoles are squirming like a glob of fish fry lying in the dirt.

People running water falls/pumps do you run them all the time or are they set on timers with the light cycle?

Thanks for any input!
Turn the pump off completely over the winter. Let it run all summer like a normal water feature.

If you have a large enough colony you can omit the water feature and just mist heavily.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info!! I've had one frog lay eggs. I left them alone in the tank and noticed a ton of nematodes (I believe) on the eggs. Is this normal or do I need to do something about it? All the species im trying to breed will be in new setups so maybe that will help for a little bit.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Thanks for the info!! I've had one frog lay eggs. I left them alone in the tank and noticed a ton of nematodes (I believe) on the eggs. Is this normal or do I need to do something about it? All the species im trying to breed will be in new setups so maybe that will help for a little bit.
Do you know if the eggs are fertile? I usually see nematodes on infertile or dead eggs, but I have never had problems with the worms eating healthy, developing clutches. I just leave eggs alone if some are bad with nematodes on them because it would be too risky in my opinion to try to pull away the bad eggs from a mantella clutch with so many eggs bunched together.
Bryan

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Bryan, the eggs were infertile so along with new substrate that will help a bit for a while...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts