Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have another question for ya.

I'm making a GS background for a 30 gal. cube viv with an eggcrate false-bottom. I have 1 large stump piece of wood to use which will be integrated into the background. My question is this: I dont think I will be able to reinstall the eggcrate bottom once the GS and stump are in there. In fact, I know I wont be able to do so. Can I get away with leaving the eggcrate in there under the stump while I apply the GS? Should I put the window screen in before I apply the GS or after?

Here's a pic to show you what I'm talking about:

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Yes, I always complete/place my false bottom before working on the background, so that is an option for you. Definately wrap the eggcrate with screen and secure with zip ties before as it will be alot easier to do outside of the viv. I would also recommend adding an access point in which you can insert a small hose to drain out excess water that will eventually gather in the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
564 Posts
I silicone all the edges of the false bottom also, so there aren't any possibilities of anything getting down there, but definitely do it first! I'd guess you couldn't get it in after you fill up a lotta space with that sweet piece of wood! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the help!

Another question: Would it be best to wrap the screen around the eggcrate and attach it with zip ties or place a screen on top with edges bent up to keep dirt (and frogs) from dropping down in between the glass and eggcrate?

re: randommind: I cut out a small square of eggcrate in the front corner for just that purpose!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Looks like it's going to be a great tank.

First thing you need to do is cover the eggcrate with a screen. Weedblock from Home Depot/Lowes works best.

Then you will need to secure it to the bottom of the aquarium with a bit of silicone. I don't you know if you have them, but you should have a couple bits of pvc pipe for structural support. The eggcrate with bow under the weight after completion if there isn't enough support.

After securing the eggcrate to the bottom, you can lay the tank on the side for the GS background. You definitely need to wrap the parts of the wood you DON'T want touched with painter's tape. GS gets everywhere and it will make a mess/headache if you don't plan ahead.

Also, from the looks of it, your wood may be an inch too high. Make sure you can close the lid without any problem before doing anything permanent to the tank.

Thanks for the help!

Another question: Would it be best to wrap the screen around the eggcrate and attach it with zip ties or place a screen on top with edges bent up to keep dirt (and frogs) from dropping down in between the glass and eggcrate?

re: randommind: I cut out a small square of eggcrate in the front corner for just that purpose!
Best to attach it with zip ties. I actually use two layers now. One is attached to the eggcrate. The other is loose with the edges bent up so I can pull everything up in one go if I need to access the bottom of the tank.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like it's going to be a great tank.

First thing you need to do is cover the eggcrate with a screen. Weedblock from Home Depot/Lowes works best.

Then you will need to secure it to the bottom of the aquarium with a bit of silicone. I don't you know if you have them, but you should have a couple bits of pvc pipe for structural support. The eggcrate with bow under the weight after completion if there isn't enough support.

After securing the eggcrate to the bottom, you can lay the tank on the side for the GS background. You definitely need to wrap the parts of the wood you DON'T want touched with painter's tape. GS gets everywhere and it will make a mess/headache if you don't plan ahead.

Also, from the looks of it, your wood may be an inch too high. Make sure you can close the lid without any problem before doing anything permanent to the tank.

Best to attach it with zip ties. I actually use two layers now. One is attached to the eggcrate. The other is loose with the edges bent up so I can pull everything up in one go if I need to access the bottom of the tank.
I may just end up cutting 1" from the top, because you are right :)

I have 4" pvc I will cut and notch and place in the bottom to support the wood/sub.

Brilliant about the 2 layers! I'll wrap it with a hole for removing water and then place another layer on top with the edges bent up.

I may also install a 4" pvc pipe in the right rear corner going down into the false bottom for a possible water feature. I still havent decided on this yet.. I have a pump coming in the mail with variable flow controller that will fit into the 4" pvc, but everyone says it is a lot of work to keep up.. Maybe I should just install it anyway for possible future use.. Thoughts?

Thanks again for the great feedback!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Thanks for the help!

+1 on what Kugamazog said.

I wrap the screen all the way around and zip tie, then make a bead of silicone at the glass/false bottom all the way around the edges to seal it in.

·
Registered
436 Posts
definitely do the screen on the false bottom before you use GS. you look like you need some structural support as well, but you've already got that covered. I am doing a very similar thing with my tank - i'm going to make the false bottom "box" and then fill the space between the vertical pieces and the glass with some aquarium stone, nothing fancy, just to hide the false bottom. the other option is to use black silicone on the glass but i don't like the way that looks.

also, have you considered getting more wood in there and going beyond just the back panel of the tank? I originally was going to only apply GS to the back of the tank, but I decided to move the wood to the corner and apply it to the whole back and a little of two of the sides, just to add some depth. you have a lot of glass real estate there, so you should consider using it. unless you're going to have phyllobates or some other kind of PDF that can handle groups, you're not going to have a ton of frogs in there, so it'll look pretty barren. just my two cents...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Definitely wrap the false bottom or at least put two layers of screen on top of it. Pvc couplings make great support underneath the fb. You could also silicone some styrofoam wedges onto the glass and gs them to make shelves in the viv. If you do a water feature, make sure you can filter the water somehow and remove your pump without destroying the tank. Learned my lesson the hard way once.

·
Registered
564 Posts
. the other option is to use black silicone on the glass but i don't like the way that looks.
I cover my false bottom area and the great stuff areas with krylon spraypaint. After I'm all done with the background I carefully mask off all the areas I'd like painted black and seal the opening shut with newspaper/masking tape. Basically has the same effect as gravel, just no weight. I do have a small puddle in the corner though so I'm able to tell the water level in the false bottom still.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts