Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, long story short, three leucs. 2 males, one female. Yesterday afternoon I saw courting behavior between Male 1 and female. They went into a hut and stayed for a long time. In the meantime, Male 2 is very excited and is on top of the hut where the other two are, singing away. I leave for church around 4:30 and come home late last night to find eggs in that hut. Very first eggs from these Leucs and might I mention that afternoon was the very first time I had ever heard Male 2 calling at all. I wasn't even sure he was a male until yesterday after the calling. When I found the eggs at night, male 1 was up towards the top of the tank and male 2 was at the door of the hut where the eggs are like standing guard.

I did some reading up in this forum and decided I would pull the eggs tonight (meaning 24 hours later) to make sure the eggs were fertilized.

Questions:

1 - If both male 1 and female were in the hut together, wouldn't the eggs be fertilized already? I'm afraid she will eat them before I get to pull them.

2 - I saw Male 2 this morning in the hut where the eggs are doing something to the eggs. He would hover over them and do something with his rear and back legs. Could he be fertilizing them? Could he be watering them? Could he be messing them up because he's jealous? What could he be doing?

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
Hi Andry,

Female Leucomelas won't eat their own eggs, so don't worry about that. I have not heard of extra males damaging the eggs of another pair, but I keep my two breeding pairs separate so there aren't any competetive issues.

Take care, Richard.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, we have been thinking all weekend we need to get that second probable male out of the tank to see if we have more luck with them laying eggs. I told my husband I would get a tank ready sometime this week and pull him out also to see if he starts calling to confirm he is a male. But then all this happened and I'm not sure what's going on nor do I know who exactly has fertilized the eggs. i would think Male 1 since that is who the female has been courting with. She is never around Male 2.

I had read somewhere that the frog that laid the eggs sometimes does eat her own eggs. I just can't wait to get them out of there before something happens to them. Although since they are their first eggs they may not even survive. We'll see.

·
Premium Member
2,747 Posts
The eggs were definitely fertilized by the male that the female was courting with (though, sometimes it takes a few clutched before they get it right). I have my two pairs in a divided 55 gallon, so the males can hear each other calling, yet can't get in each other's way (this also goes for the females, which would wrestle each other and eat each others eggs). If you can set-up a second pair, the competition will keep the frogs "in the mood" and you'll have better egg production.

Richard.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Richard. So any ideas what that second male was doing with the eggs this morning? I need to definitely move him out in the next couple days. Hopefully tonight if I can get a tank set up quickly. I will try and leave the tank close or adjacent to the tank the pair is in so that they can hear each other calling. And I definitely want another female now! :D

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
He could be attempting to act as a "peripheral" breeding male and attempting to fertilize the eggs (similar to that seen in some other anurans http://www.anu.edu.au/BoZo/jennions/publications/Paper02.pdf ) or if this is the only location that the frog's feel is suitable for egg depostion, he could have been trying to clean the site for his attempt to lure in a ready female...

Ed

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm, very interesting. There are two other huts in the tank. But I see what you mean. I could also see him trying to fertilize the already fertile eggs. I plan to remove the eggs tonight and get him (male 2) out asap.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.