Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was gonna post this in the beginner discussion, but this section gets a lot more traffic. i have 2 blue and black auratus in a sterilite box for a grow out tank. They are about 3-4 months old at the moment. As far as the tank goes, i have paper damp towels on the bottom with a philodendron clipping and a few oak leaves.

Question one- how do i go about changing the paper towels without these guys jumping out on me? I didn't realize how much these guys poop! hahaha

Question two- I ran out of regular paper towels, and all i have now is paper towels with the printed floral designs on them. Is the ink in these paper towels harmful? should i go and buy some without the floral designs on them, or do you think these ones are alright?

Thanks for lookin.

Mods if you think beginner discussion is a better fit, then feel free to move it.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
The dioxin in the bleached paper towels is really not a good choice IMO. I think it should be nixed from the QT regimen altogether. I think the ink is the least concern there.
What about using dried, baked and boiled leaves? I believe magnolia leaves have a sort of antiseptic quality and they would better serve your azureus.

Also, take care that your container is not the kind with gaps under the handles if it has handles.

Otherwise, good luck keeping them from jumping out when you change the paper towels, which I think adds way more stress than they need and lets them soak in toxins from it as well. Leaves are far better.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the input guys. i'll remove the paper towels sometime soon.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
When I set up quarantine containers, I keep two. I move the frogs into the clean container. I then clean the one they were in and let it dry out. When I am ready to clean their container, I have a clean one to shift them into and start the process again.

It's worked well for me.

Good luck with them.

Deb

·
Registered
210 Posts
I use 5 gallon aquariums with sphagnum and a couple of philodendron clipping for q tanks. Works well for me. If the froglets are small, I put a bunch of charcoal loaded with springs in a corner.

·
Registered
123 Posts
i use Plastic containers and put spagno moss and leaves in the bottom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts