Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what kind of dart frog would do well in lower temperature? My living room during the winter gets down to about 63-65F at night. Would this be a negative for darts or is there species that would enjoy this cool temperature at night? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well my tanks get to about 65 at night and my frogs don't seem to care and don't show signs of stress or not liking it. I give them extra food in the colder temps because the human body burns more calories so I figured the frog body would too.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
You're wrong there. Frogs are ectotherms, ie cold blooded. When it gets cold, their metabolism slows down. In endoterms, ie warm blooded animals like birds and mammals, extra energy is used to keep their body temps at the correct levels. If their body temperature drops more than a few degrees, they can get hypothermia and die. When it is colder, ectotherms require less energy, not more.

G

·
I wouldn't worry about those temps. My frog room has gotten down into the lower 50's the past couple weeks and I have seen no ill effects...in fact, the frogs seem much more lively and bold after coming out of a cold night. Many people suggested that the temps inside the tanks will be slightly higher than the external temps as the moisture, vivarium material (ie, tempered glass, thermal acrylic, etc) will help retain the heat. This was not the case in my situation as my IR temp device gave me an internal temp readout which was only 2 degrees warmer than the external temp. You'll definitely not want to flirt with lower temps but 60-65 is fine for darts. In the wild, there have been nights getting down into the 40's. Just something to think about.

-Bill J.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I haven't used my heat yet as I am too cheap so my frogs have been experiencing night lows in the mid 50's. During the day it's about 60-65. They are fine. My male terriblis sometimes calls just before the lights turn out at night.

Justin

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
What are the daytime temps? Silverstonei only breed when it is cooler, a breeder here in st. pete got rid of his just because he would have to keep a room cooler than all the rest of his rooms just to get one type of frog to breed.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Doh I totally forgot frogs were cold blooded. I wrote that when I had gotten 5 hours of sleep and it was second period...Anyways, it's harder in cooler (Pacific NW) areas to get the "perfect" temperature range. And I usually let the tanks go through the natural temp cycle at this time when it is too warm to put the heat lights on and too cold for breeding.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for all of the information. This will help me decide what I want to do. Thanks again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts