Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting one of these led flood lights for my new 20G High vertical tank, but which of the three options from 15W, 30W, or 60W would be best for my size of tank?

·
Super Moderator
3,065 Posts
I have a couple of 10 gallon verts that have the 10-watt version on them. They are OK. I think if I was doing a 20 vert, I might try 2 of the 15 watt versions. The coverage will probably be better that way and less trouble with shadows. A single 30 would probably work, too, but maybe hotter and more shadows.

Mark

·
Super Moderator
3,963 Posts
Well, a couple reviewers claim it is dimmable, so getting a larger one than you might think and putting it on a dimmer might be a good plan.

Quite a few reviewers also report that the fixture lasts somewhere between 6 weeks and a year, so perhaps buying two right away might be wise as well. That's a lot of wattage to be running with a pretty minimal heatsink, so I'm not surprised it doesn't last long.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I had 3 of these lights that stopped working on me within 2 or 3 months give or take.

Granted I had them under a hood together so I'm sure heat was the issue. I could have loaded up on fans and they would have probably lasted longer but it was so much easier to use other lights that don't heat up as much.

Otherwise, great lights... Love the power and the look they created but just not worth it IMO.

Well, a couple reviewers claim it is dimmable, so getting a larger one than you might think and putting it on a dimmer might be a good plan.

Quite a few reviewers also report that the fixture lasts somewhere between 6 weeks and a year, so perhaps buying two right away might be wise as well. That's a lot of wattage to be running with a pretty minimal heatsink, so I'm not surprised it doesn't last long.

·
Super Moderator
3,065 Posts
Be careful with heat. 50 watts is a lot of light for a tank that size, even if the light was properly heat sinked. I apparently have had better luck with these lights than others have. I have had my 10 watt lights for a couple of years now. I have them out the in the open, though. No hoods or anything. No fans, either, though.

Mark

1 - 7 of 7 Posts