Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 Dendrobates azureus that im getting ready to move to a 10g tank I have it set up with the gravel and coco plantation soil on top but i only have a little bit of moss since they are coming from a 2gal tank. My question is will they be ok on the soil? until i can buy more moss in a few days?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I myself would add leaf litter (magnolia leafs, oak leafs). It adds that forest floor look and hiding spots for your frogs. If you want to go with Moss all around , I would just make sure their are enough hiding places for your frogs. The frogs will be fine on the soil, but I myself try to keep them from being on the wet soil for to long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i have a few live plants and a coco hut in there smaller tank that would do them justice my only problem is the closest store with moss,store leaves, animal supplies etc.. is over an hour away and im not able to get there for a few days. also the soil isnt wet as it isnt a water tank i just spray it down a few times a day? am i able to go outside and get leaves? i dont want to put anything bad in there cage :p

·
Registered
6,545 Posts
The problem with most all 'Coco soil" / "Bed a beast" /" Eco Earth" or any of that compressed brown "stuff" that looks like coffee grounds is that it.....

Really doesn't work well.

Especially on it's own.

It clumps when on the dry side. It gets too soggy and sopping wet when it's not drained properly. It's just hard to deal with.

One of the worst things (other than all the above) it sticks to the frog and they often ingest it and become impacted and die.

I would use this before the "coffee grounds"...

·
Registered
210 Posts
yes, you can get leaves from somewhere where pesticides are not used. I would boil them for about ten minutes and then let them dry. Try to find oak or magnolia leaves, but make sure they are dried leaves(brown) when you collect them.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
Where are you froglover? You still have leaves on the ground? I gather up oak and maple leaves from my yard, throw them in a pot and let them boil for 5 or so minutes, let them dry off and toss them in the tank.

You should try to make sure to get the leaves from an area that is not fertilized or sprayed for bugs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Im in NC i read a few things and went and got oak leaves and washed them just in water but i put them in the tank green and fresh..is that a bad idea? or will it be ok for now?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Im in NC i read a few things and went and got oak leaves and washed them just in water but i put them in the tank green and fresh..is that a bad idea? or will it be ok for now?
Well, personally I would take them out and find dried out leaves. Then, take the dried leaves and boil them, then add them to the tank.

The fresh green leaves will probably decompose really quickly and not boiling the leaves first could introduce hitch-hikers into the tank (spiders, mites, ect.).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no my fam is very "clean" with there yard so the first warm weather we get all the leaves are raked and tossed so all i have are green ones, i guess i can just do the boil and wait to dry idea, im just trying to get them in a bigger tank in a hurry since there in a temp small container. I also have one other question, if anyone has a pick of what mites look like in cultures that would be awesome! so if i ever see any i can ditch it fast! lol

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
What about a Home Depot, Lowe's, etc? If you have one of those close you could get a package of inexpensive sheet moss to cover the coco layer. I agree with everyone else...that stuff will stick to your frogs like there's no tomorrow!

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
no my fam is very "clean" with there yard so the first warm weather we get all the leaves are raked and tossed so all i have are green ones, i guess i can just do the boil and wait to dry idea, im just trying to get them in a bigger tank in a hurry since there in a temp small container. I also have one other question, if anyone has a pick of what mites look like in cultures that would be awesome! so if i ever see any i can ditch it fast! lol
Froglover, where in NC? I'm near Raleigh and probably still have oak leaves on the ground (I let mother nature rake my leaves :p ). If you're not too far, I could scoop up a bag of it for you. Just make sure to pick out any pine needles that might be in there. Pine is bad for your frogs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The problem with most all 'Coco soil" / "Bed a beast" /" Eco Earth" or any of that compressed brown "stuff" that looks like coffee grounds is that it.....

Really doesn't work well.

Especially on it's own.

It clumps when on the dry side. It gets too soggy and sopping wet when it's not drained properly. It's just hard to deal with.

One of the worst things (other than all the above) it sticks to the frog and they often ingest it and become impacted and die.

I would use this before the "coffee grounds"...

Do you see the impaction problems mentioned above with the coco fiber if it is applied to the background with silicone?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.