Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any good local places to get freshwater driftwood suitable for a viv? I've been going to Midway Tropical Pets, and they have nice Malaysian driftwood, but at $4.99 per pound, it's not cheap. The last piece I bought there cost me almost $28.00. Anywhere else I can get it locally? I hate paying shipping for pieces of wood.

G

·
0 Posts
Arklier, why are you buying wood when the Cascades are out your back door? :?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Because

1.) It's not the right type of wood. Most of the trees around here (especially in the Cascades) are firs and pines. There are no oaks, cypress, or anything like that. Maple might work, but no one has ever posted anything about how maple would hold up in the constant wet and heat.

And 2.) Because most of the driftwood around here you can pick up is saltwater driftwood, which is also not good in the viv. There is river driftwood, but most of that is private property, and you'd be likely to get yourself shooed off with the point of a gun.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I go hikking in the woods and usually I will find root structures that have been in the water and washed down stream into a log jam . ALWAYS good wood in there and is very water conditioned .I have found many root structures w/ rocks grown right into the peice . The fun part is getting out and looking . Much of the land around rivers ,mostly in the mountians is run by the DNR .I have been told that to collect anything on DNR land you need to have a permit , but I have NEVER had a problem , but then again I'm not loading up a truck .
Happy hunting ,
Darren

G

·
0 Posts
I've found similar pieces as to what Darren describes--and pine works great for me. Some pine, when extremely water-worn, holds up really well (I use it for aquariums). Maybe take a drive up to Lake Kachis (sp?) or something and see what you can find around the shore. With all those stumps and wood exposed, you should be able to find something worth using.

·
Registered
747 Posts
i lived in washington for 12 yrs before i moved to arizona and i wish i had the resources here that i had up there! there is sooo much good wood up there. it doesnt even havet o be drift wood. you can find neat wood that is covered with moss or whatever just walkin around the forest. and pine works great like skylesdale said. i actually like it better than most drift wood cause it holds in moisture and has a nice surface for moss and plants to grow on. orchids take to it faster than they would on grapewood or other driftwoods from what ive seen. good luck!

G

·
0 Posts
What part of Washington do you live in? I can show you some spots, but I live in Vancouver.

G

·
0 Posts
Oh.....Federal Way....duh....well I can help you if you are ever in this area.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Have you been able to find a good place for wood? I live in Seattle. I want to set up my new viv and I would really like to have a stump root combo in there. But pet stores charge a lot and don't quite have what I'm looking for. Any ideas?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Midway :(

Please don't shop at Midway Pets. I haven't actually shopped there for a few years, but there husbandry was horrible. I would always find several dead animals in different stages of decay, some that looked to be dead for weeks. Maybe they have cleaned up their act but if they haven't, I would try not to support them unless they are your ONLY source for supplies.
That being said, you might want to try madrona for your branches. It's a costal tree native to washington thats hard wood really stand up to wet conditions. It is fairly brittle when dead, so as long as its not bearing too much weight, it sould last for years. Most of the wood I use is madrona. Its has red bark that flakes and peels off, giving plants like broms and orchids a good place to get a foot hold if your going to mount anything to it. It sould be fairly easy to find in your area. I would try around Saltwater Park. If you aren't sure about how to identify it, give me a shout and I can give you some photos to refrence from.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't like going there either, but they're the only place that has tropical wood suitable for the viv for sale. All the chain stores just have either grapewood or plastic branches. I'd go somewhere else if I could.

·
Registered
329 Posts
You might also try "The Fish Store". They have one store in Seattle and I believe one in Bellevue. I am not sure how much the wood is but, I know they have a lot of it.
Also, there area a couple of aquarium stores in the International district Down Town Seattle that have stuff like that.

I have always used the bog wood. In fact... I have had three pieces of the wood in my fish tanks and now in my Vivs that I have had for over ten years now. There is absolutely no sign of breaking down at all. Yes, it was fairly expensive but, the stuff has lasted a long time....

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went to Denny's Pet world and they do have a lot of wood. It was a good selection too. I buckled and got a piece there. I also got a piece from Blue Sierra in Issaquah. I'm going to see how either works and return the other. Hopefully I can get to work this weekend and get some pictures up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts