Dendroboard banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi my name is Joseph I live in Florida. I have been researching for the past month and I think I'm about ready to start constructing my first vivarium. The one question I have is about misters and foggers. I sometimes work real late and hand misting might be a problem for me. Can anybody tell me if automatic misters/foggers are effective? Do I need to drill any holes in the top of my tank for installation? Can anybody post any pics of thier setups or suggest any websites that might help? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi my name is Joseph I live in Florida. I have been researching for the past month and I think I'm about ready to start constructing my first vivarium. The one question I have is about misters and foggers. I sometimes work real late and hand misting might be a problem for me. Can anybody tell me if automatic misters/foggers are effective? Do I need to drill any holes in the top of my tank for installation? Can anybody post any pics of thier setups or suggest any websites that might help? Thanks in advance!
im new and am setting up a vivarium in a few days but i found these cool misters called habba mister that goes in the tank no holes needed. cheapest place i found it was turtlesale.com

·
Registered
167 Posts
All advice from me is purely academic as I’ve yet to start my own collection. I’ve just been researching and bookmarking over the last year what others have said. Ed, Grimm or Pumilo are just a few of the experts that could help you out more but I may be able to point you in the right direction if you’re looking at fogging or misting systems.

It’s my understanding that foggers are primarily used for aesthetics. They DO raise the humidity some but from what I’ve read misters do a much better and more effective job and therefore should be your primary hydration source.

Automatic misters are effective and many people here seem to use them. The most popular system seems to be the Mistking. When I get rolling this is the direction I plan to go myself.
You can find them here:
MistKing Misting Systems by Jungle Hobbies Ltd

You do have to drill a hole or two in the top of the tank to install these (If you’re going to go with an exo or zoomed you will need to cut or get cut a glass top).
You can get glass drilling bits here:
Glass Hole Cutters - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

Drilling glass can be a bit tricky so I’d also advise you to watch this video:
Drilling GH

I hope that helps! :)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Dont use the Habba Mist, imo they suck. Its not a mist but a spray and they are loud. Mistking is very very popular, you do have to drill holes if you use the Mistking but its worth it. use the search tool and you will find a lot of pics and instructions. also go to the sponsor page on here and find mistking and look at what they offer. its $100 for the package which you can expand with, ie add up to 10 mist nozzles. as for your humidity you dont have to mist all that much, i mist maybe twice a day. if you plan on using ventilation then hand misting wont cut it and you will need a Mistking or similar. set your viv up and see what the humidity stays at. you should have it up for a while before adding frogs anyway so there is a nice period to figure all of the misting and everything else out before hand. hope that helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a system from mistking just over a year ago. I love it, makes life for me and the frogs so much nicer.
You don't have to drill holes for the nozzles.
I used to have mine set up that way but it made removing the whole lid of the tank a bit of a hassle.
For about 6 months now I've just used big clear suction cups (about 1.5" diameter) to hold the nozzles near the upper rim of the tank. Works just as good as before and it means I can remove the top without having to unhook the misting tubes.
Lights in my tanks are out right now but I'll try to remember to take a couple pics tomorrow and post them.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Depending on the lid you have over the tank (glass) and ventilation, there is no reason you'll have to mist every day. Especially once the tank has grown in and there is lots of cover, places to hide, leaf litter and stuff, there will be plenty of microclimates where the humidity is higher than the average of the viv. Don't stress too much!

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is how I attached the nozzles with suction cups.
I measured them and they're just over 2" diameter.
They normally include a plastic hook and I just toss that part away. The misting tube just happened to fit inside the existing hole perfectly.
I imagine over time the vibration of the actual misting may loosen the hold of the suction cup so that's something you'd want to keep an eye out for (my set-up has been fine for months now).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I don't own any misting systems but wanted to say that in case you didn't already know, you likely don't need to mist every day. Even in the "wet season" if you are trying to breed them, with a glass top I only mist every 2-3 days, and it shouldn't matter if it's early or late if you are doing it just to keep the humidity up. If you do choose a misting system just to make things easier and automated, Mistking seems to be a popular choice so you can check out his website if you want more info.
Bryan

Reactions: Woodsman

·
Registered
161 Posts
I don't have many tanks (four) and I hand mist once a day. Usually in the morning about an hour before the lights come on over the tanks (I leave for work about then). I think hand misting is the way to go unless you have a lot of tanks. It ensures that you spend time around your tanks and keep an eye on things.
Doug

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow! Thanks for all the responses. Very helpful. I think since this will be my first vivarium I will try to keep it as simple as possible and leave out the automatic misters for now. If I don't have to mist everyday I don't think it should be a problem. I do have another question though. I figured I would ask it here instead of starting another thread. Can anybody tell me what are the advantages and disadvantages of using a vert kit (if any) compared to a regular tank. I'm using a 20 gallon high tank. Appreciate the help.

·
Registered
527 Posts
vert or regular depends on the kind of setup and the type of frogs you want to keep. more terrestrial (typically larger dendrobates) frogs will appreciate more floor space than climbing space. arboreal frogs (most ranitomeya/pumilio), like to climb and enjoy perches up high, bromeliads and film canisters at different elevations for breeding, and the like ...

another advantage to vertical tanks (in my opinion) is that they're front opening. this makes it easier to stick a nose, mirror, or camera lens in and get a good shot of a frog head on if you're into photography.

basically it all depends on what kind of frogs you want to keep and your preferences. just read up on the species you like and you'll find out which direction you want to go.

good luck,
brett

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The vert kits are dependent on what species you get and personal preference. If you set up a vertical tank, you should plan to get a species of frog that is more naturally inclined to use height, such as thumbnail species. Larger frogs, such as most beginner frogs including leucs, auratus, tinctorius (and azureus), Phyllobates frogs, etc., are more terrestrial and should have a standard horizontal set up so they have enough floor space.
Additionally, many people prefer front opening vertical kits because they are easier to access and clean the tank. Personally, I think either is fine. The standard way has a smaller opening to feed clean, but it is still enough and the my frogs always hide if I open the front opening ones.
Whatever you do, remember to plan ahead to suit the needs of the frogs first. Decide what species you like, then see how their habitat should be set up.
Bryan

Reactions: Woodsman

·
Registered
78 Posts
as long as you dont have a problem keeping humidity in the tank you wont require a mister but for tankst hat get dry you want one for sure mine says wet enought that i dont need one

1 - 13 of 13 Posts