Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on my first pdf terrarium and tonight I went to wal mart and bought potting mix. Ingredients are:60% sphagnum peat moss,coconut husk fibers(coir pirth),composted bark fines,perlite,a wetting agent,and fertilizer(see below)

Derived from: ammonium nitrate, ammonium phosphate, potassium nitrate, urea, calcium phosphate, potassium sulfate, and methylene urea.

If this is ok to use should I mix it in with my eco earth or should my layers consist of gravel, potting mix,eco earth,sphagnum moss? all help greatly appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also one more thing. Should I put a layer of screen on top of my gravl as well as underneath?

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Do not use pottiing mix, it contains a lot of bad stuff that could kill your frogs. Especially
ammonium nitrate, ammonium phosphate, potassium nitrate, urea, calcium phosphate, potassium sulfate, and methylene urea.

It's much safer making your own substrate.

Luke

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Well you could mix many things depending on what kind of plants you want to grow in it. If you don't plant to plant any plants within the substrate, you can mix 50/50 of the coco bedding and some orchid mix, or jungle mix; something to give the substrate more aeration.

Luke

1 - 6 of 6 Posts