Dendroboard banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one of those cheap pump misters from home depot. It does the job except for the last couple weeks. When I pump it and pull the trigger to spray it sprays but then when I let go to stop it continues to spray and then it drips. I thought at first a washer or something inside was broke and I needed to get a new one. Anyone ever had this happen? thx

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
If matter however tiny gets in the thread or o ring, or the o ring isn't lightly lubricated with a faint touch of Vaseline your pump will end up doing that.

Most good pumps O rings and diaphragm are already lubricated when purchased.

If you disassemble the pump once a year clean any collected minutiae and lightly lube the rubber parts just enough so that they don't get brittle they will continue to function like new.

I learned this from the call in service flo Master guy.

Many ppl have the impression that pumps break and start leaking as normal but its just that they need a little maintenance. Others warn against using vaseline on the parts when with most pumps they have used it all along.

Nothing beats the precision of in person misting. I love my pump.

Personally I have always liked to impress an additional curve in mine by holding the bend in scalding water then dipping it in cold to set. I just like it that way.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
If Vaseline rubs the wrong way im sure it can be substituted with another kind of oil. You only need the faintest touch. I think I used Linatone once lol not recommending just saying. I really needed my pump to get on with it.

Take it apart and put it back together in case in assembly it was not done right. That works with a lot of things.

·
Super Moderator
2,924 Posts
I have had really spotty luck with cheap hand misters. Boomer-style rant: Everything is made out of plastic these days and it doesn't last very long! If you just got it, it's probably worth returning and trying at least one more.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
And the plastic isn't as good a type. I can only make this determination by feel but a certain mister I know and love has a more flexi plunger stem. Thats not ideal when your storm pumpin your werks.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Boomer-style rant: Everything is made out of plastic these days and it doesn't last very long!
Older Gen-X'er pile-on: Most stuff for sale is cheap-ass shit, these days. If you aren't wealthy, you cannot afford anything BUT quality - save up and throw down. Otherwise, just be prepared to move a lot of garbage into and out of your house & life. I think that route costs more money, and it's anti-social / anti-nature, but to each their own.

Take it apart and put it back together in case in assembly it was not done right. That works with a lot of things.
Yep. This can help too. But even with that my hand-misters tend to need replacing every 3 years or so. Maybe my tap water has more grit than most - I only use the RO in my MistKings, and use straight outta the tap (it's great water, here) in the hand pump. That's how I water my snakes, with the hand-mister. The MistKings / RO are more for the plants and modulating the ambient RH, andfor keeping the glass nice and clean.

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
I have owned three of these (one for reptile room, one upstairs for orchids, and one in my room for a terrarium) for two years and haven't killed one yet -- which is a new record for me for plastic pump longevity:

These are also bulletproof, but overkill for most inside applications (I have three for different garden chemicals; my oldest one is seven years old):

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Well, have had my sprayer since 2013 or 14 and it still performs no sputters or skips.

The older models im wanting to say pre 2000 had a handle molded into the top that I miss.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Not like the plunger I mean like on the rim.

I mention it in case someone knows of a brand im not married to my mister, well kind of but I would be happy to try another brand of hose style sprayer.

With my back having something to grab would be a great help.

Haha Married to my Mister. That's funny.

·
Super Moderator
3,300 Posts
This was a bitter disappointment to me, jgragg. I thought that this was silicone adhesive that didn't need a caulk gun/pressure to apply. When I finally figured out that it was just lubricant, it made me so sad...

Mark
Doesn't get much easier than one of these, I'll bet:

Reactions: Encyclia

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
No I am not to that point. I'm a manual kinda cat. Yeah that would be conceding defeat!

But I sure appreciate the thought. I think once along a time ago I had a sprayer that not only had a left grab but a foot.

The one that got away....

And I am habituated to a hose rod.

·
Premium Member
1,483 Posts
Oh not meant for me I assumed it was a powered sprayer like the powered packs for hikers and bikers.

As I clickd

·
Registered
831 Posts
This was a bitter disappointment to me, jgragg. I thought that this was silicone adhesive that didn't need a caulk gun/pressure to apply. When I finally figured out that it was just lubricant, it made me so sad...

Mark
Oh, that's funny - this was just something that seems like a good lube for the hand mister. I mean, it'll keep things slippery but - better yet - it's also food-safe so I reckon, frog-safe. Just following up on what KMC had mentioned doing to help a hand mister last, or to first deal with any misbehavior ("do first, before throwing it out") - take it apart, clean all the parts, lube it where it needs it, and reassemble all the parts. Just like with a pistol after a trip to the range, or whatever.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have been thinking about investing in a auto sprayer. I have a mist king that I used to have connected but I moved and still have not put it back on the enclosures. Even with the mist king though I still misted some of them to make sure that they got enough. I buy the 11 dollar sprayer from home depot and I do have to replace them every few years. They just suit my needs but if I can make it last longer I would. It also sometimes overflows out the little hole in the top where the handle is all over the floor so I either sit it on a towel or put it in the bathtub. Thanks guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts