Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all. I am new to posting on this board but I have been browsing on here everyday for the last month and this site has been very helpful in setting up my first pdf tank, but I do have 2 questions for anyone willing to answer. Is eco earth an accecptable substrate for plants to grow in? If not what should I use? I have also been looking at a 65w power compact light for reef aquariums. My question is, will this light be sufficient for the live plants and pdf's in the terrarium? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Eco-Earth is coco bedding that is sold as a compacted brick. It's the same thing as T-Rex Forest Floor, Bed-A-Beast, and various generic brands. Go with whatever's cheapest. Many people use it for vivs, but not usually by itself. It's usually mixed with various other ingredients such as shredded tree fern, clean soil, cypress mulch, dried spaghnum moss, and other brands of commercial bedding. I use it in a 50/50 ratio with another brand of bedding called Jungle Mix.

As for the compact fluorescent bulb question, try and get a daylight bulb if you can. 50/50 bulbs are OK for plants (I have one that came with the fixture over my azureus tank and just waiting for it to die) but it will make your frogs' colors look weird, especially if they have blue on them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get a 10,000K or 6700K bulb instead of the 50/50. It looks like you haven't purchased the fixture so you chose one with the correct bulb in it already. Coralife makes a good inexpensive PC light for planted fish tanks that will work good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.