Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that if I cut pups off of broms while they are still only nubs, I might be able to keep them alive longer. Will this work?

Thanks,

·
Registered
306 Posts
from my understanding, cutting off the pups is essential to keeping broms alive longer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Devin Edmonds said:
I've heard that the pups need to be at least 1/3 of the size of the mature bromeliad otherwise they won't live. Can anyone confirm this or back this up with proof?

Devin
http://www.amphibiancare.com
You are right, but I don't care about the pups. I want the parents to live longer, and am wondering if cutting the pups off as nubs(sticking out about 1/2") will keep the parents producing pups, therefore keeping them, the parents, alive.

·
Premium Member
13,229 Posts
Just wait until the pups are big enough to cut off.

MBMcEwen said:
Devin Edmonds said:
I've heard that the pups need to be at least 1/3 of the size of the mature bromeliad otherwise they won't live. Can anyone confirm this or back this up with proof?

Devin
http://www.amphibiancare.com
You are right, but I don't care about the pups. I want the parents to live longer, and am wondering if cutting the pups off as nubs(sticking out about 1/2") will keep the parents producing pups, therefore keeping them, the parents, alive.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Excellent question.

I do know that once broms put out pups the mother is basically going to die. When that is, is a matter of type. Some broms die quickly after flowering and producing pups, some will continue to produce pups for years creating large colonies of plants. Aechmeas and Neorogelias seem to hold on for quite a while and in my experience will pup for a long time, no matter how many you cut off. The Guzmanias and Vresias seem to die quicker. This is a very general observation and probably varies with species/cultivar.

Ben Zomer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.