Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I want to make a custom background for my new vivarium, and it's my first ever time doing it. The problem I'm facing as I research what to do is I get so many different and conflicting sources of information. I see people saying to or not to put silicone on the glass first, people saying to not use the black pond GS foam, some people saying to use an egg crate to secure the GS?? I just want to know what is the best method for making this background. Silicone on the glass first or simply spray the GS directly to the glass? If sprayed directly on the glass, do I use the yellowish tan GS or the black kind? Thanks in advance to any information!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Look up cracked cork mosaic on here, that’s a popular technique that I’m going to try next time I make a background. It works better than GS for growing epiphytes or vines on the background.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I've had good luck with the yellow/tan great stuff (gaps and cracks I believe) directly to the glass. The few times I've put down silicone first it peeled back, just my experience.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I found this to be frustrating as well - so much info, all of it just different enough that it can give you some doubt about your first project.

I think your success will result from choosing an end result that you find visually pleasing and that will suit your needs, and the inhabitant’s needs, then researching that specific method. If you can get all the materials then you have a winner.

Color of the GS is only going to affect how easy it is to see gaps in whatever type of substrate you use to cover it.

Adding silicone to the glass first does give the GS slightly more surfsce area to cling to and gives a more consistant appearance from the outside if that same piece of glass. It does take a few days to dry out and can take more for the smell to dissipate. I suspect some people skip the silicone on the glass step for these reasons.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hi, I want to make a custom background for my new vivarium, and it's my first ever time doing it. The problem I'm facing as I research what to do is I get so many different and conflicting sources of information. I see people saying to or not to put silicone on the glass first, people saying to not use the black pond GS foam, some people saying to use an egg crate to secure the GS?? I just want to know what is the best method for making this background. Silicone on the glass first or simply spray the GS directly to the glass? If sprayed directly on the glass, do I use the yellowish tan GS or the black kind? Thanks in advance to any information!
I don't know who said not to use black GS (pond and stone) but they're wrong. Yes silicone your glass before you apply GS. There is nothing worse than having your background pull away. Well I assume. I've never had it happen because I've always applied silicone first.

You also want to make sure you have cork pieces placed into the GS. Many epiphytic plants will root into a GS/Peat moss background, but some absolutely will not. I've never had a bromeliad that would attach itself to the GS. But things like pothos, peperomia, monstera, etc will gladly latch onto it.

·
Registered
D. Leucomelas - E. Anthonyi - D. Tinctorius 'Tumucumaque'
95 Posts
What I did on my first tank was expanding foam on a styrofoam plate, and then silicone the styrofoam plate to the glass. It held up pretty ok, but I've read (later) that styrofoam can be an endocrine disruptor? I don't know exactly what it means but it has something to do with hormones.

·
Registered
69 Posts
In my experience, if you use silicone, apply the GS before the silicone cures. It won't bond very well if the silicone cures first. I don't think it matters which type of GS you use. The gap and cracks (red can) expands more than the window and door (blue can) or pond and stone (green can) which can be less desirable. I haven't used pond and stone though. I will probably give that a try on my next build so I can get away with a lazier coverage layer. I will also say that I am starting to prefer background that use less GS and incorporate cork and tree fern panels. I'll probably only use Great Stuff to secure driftwood and fill cracks from now on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts