Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know these aren't darts, but they are similar. I have six golden mantellas that are in quarantine right now. I put them in a horizontal twenty gallon. After a few days of observation I noticed they loved to climb and mainly hung out on the upper parts of the tank. So I just decided to experiment and changed around their temporary tank to a vertical instead of horizontal. Within an hour of putting them in their new vertical tank two males start calling and two usually shy females were much more bold. I'm currently making a permanent viv for them, and am thinking of making it vertical. Thoughts?

·
Registered
222 Posts
a lot of frogs will do this when first placed in a viv - it doesn't mean that they love to climb, it means that they are trying to escape an find the borders of the viv. climbing is a defense mechanism. All my froglets do this for a couple weeks when I place them in their new vivs. If your frogs are not typically climbing frogs, I wouldn't make their permanent viv vertical.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've definitely seen some of my other frogs use climbing as a defense mechanism. But when I placed them in this vertical viv, the males went to the top of the tank, and started calling. I just found two clutches of about 50-100 eggs (each clutch). The frogs are eating more heartily as well. Keep in mind, the floor space of this vertical viv is about the same size as what their permanent tank was going to be.

·
Registered
222 Posts
nice! doesn't sound like they are stressed to me! if the floor space is the same, maybe they feel more at home without as much of a limit on their canopy. sounds like you have a nice set-up to me :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts