Dendroboard banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've developed a fetish for purple plants - so I'm going to plant the next viv with purple plants. I have a wildly maroon pepperomia, and a wandering jew sitting in my "waiting for a place to live" tank.

What are other purple or purpleish plants that would be nice in my viv? Is it fittonia that has the pink striped leaves? Those would be cool.

I know it will look decidely unnatural - I might be going for that look, but not sure.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Don't know if these are viv safe plants but i've gotten a few plants in my greenhouse from here.
Plants of the Color Purple

I really like purple/burgundy/etc wandering jew, infact I have 5 small plants in my 20H, but I wouldn't like an all purple tank, which you might discover after you build your tank.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really like purple/burgundy/etc wandering jew, infact I have 5 small plants in my 20H, but I wouldn't like an all purple tank, which you might discover after you build your tank.
This is my concern - that with all purple, the purple won't look as dramatic.

I am considering it anyway.

I love browsing that site. They have so many plants.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Personally I think silver compliments the purple/burgundy very well
Some purple plants that do well in vivs could include
Nautilocalyx lynchii
Codonanthe 'Cranberry'
Syngonium erythrophyllum
Peperomia repii

Bromeliads
Neoregelia 'Darkest Hour'
Neoregelia '*******'
Neoregelia 'Superball X pauciflora'
Neoregelia 'Obsidian Ice'

Silver plants
Peperomia marmorata
Pilea 'Silver Cloud'
Peperomia turboensis
Philodendron SP Ecuador Silver (Sort of like a miniaturized brandtianum)
Philodendron brandtianum
Scindapsus pictus
Peperomia SP Ecuador (This is actually a purple/ gray)

Another good one is Pilea 'Silver Tree' which is purple/burgundy with a silver stripe down the middle Same with Pellionia repens

Todd

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ooh, how about a silver and purple theme, it will be like a wedding.
I wonder if there is a way for me to tint my dryloc silver.
I think thats another thread.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I picked this up at Home Depot....Gynura aurantiaca sarmentosa "purple passion" vine. It has purple velvet hairs all over it.
gbpp.jpg

I also picked up a "persian shield" but it turned out to be WAY too big for any of my tanks. One day I will have a 100+ gallon tank and I am definately going to have one in that.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Purple waffle plant.....
Hemigraphis alternata

purple waffle plant - Google Search

I had a persian sheild in my main viv it lasted for about 9 months and then started to rot out.....I couldn't stop the roots from getting water logged due to planting location.....

·
Registered
94 Posts
I've used the purple waffle in a couple tanks, I had to almost pull it completely out, it took over everything.

That may be from the fertilizer i was using....pacman frog poo, it got big enough that the pac couldn't really move in a 20L

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
As a break from purple foliage, you might consider purple flowers. Plenty of orchids and gesneriads fit the bill.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts