Dendroboard banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all.

I'm setting up a 10 gallon vert with a water feature, and I was wondering how you manage to get the pump's cord out of the tank? I'm thinking about ordering one of the 10gal vivarium inserts from FCA. I'd rather not have the cord pass through the front of the tank, but I'll do that if I have no alternative.

My initial plan was to cut a 1" diameter hole in the glass on what would be the top of the tank, but I've yet to find a shop in the SF bay area that will do that for me. (SF bay area locals: any hints?)

Thanks very much for your insights,
John

G

·
cord out of a vert

Hey John. You could drill a hole out the back with a diamond core bit. I bought some from harborfreight that were real cheap. You get 2-3 bits depending on what package you buy for under $10. They have them up to 1". Look for diamond core bits at harborfreight.com. Then you just make a dam with plumbers putty around the area you want to drill, fill with water and drill away. They work great. If you get a small sized one not much bigger than the cord it will be less silicone you need to use around it. This requires cutting the cord and rewiring the plug back n after you get the cord through. I have done it and had no problems.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much! I'll look into that.

-John

G

·
no problem

No problem John. Better than paying $5 or more for a shop to drill a hole and you can use it a ton of times.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Most of the pumps I've used have ungrounded connections. It's extremely easy to splice them, and you can add a power switch if you cut the cord where you want to put it. I did that with a few reptile lights I have, and it's really handy.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I ordered the 1/2" and 1" diamond hole saw from harbor freight. I've decided against splicing the cord; instead, I'll pass the whole plug through and silicone a plastic grommet on top. That way, the pump will be much easier to remove for maintenance.

Thanks for all the advice!

-John

1 - 7 of 7 Posts