Dendroboard banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

Looking to install a Mist-King system, and also a separate filter + pump for a water feature.

I'll be placing a false bottom into the viv, and likely drilling the bottom or low-side of the glass to put a drain in, this will feed to a reservoir in the cabinate underneath which will circulate for the water feature.

What do you guys recommend using as a reservoir for the two pumps? I'm looking for a 'feed only' for the mist king (no circulation) and something which i can circulate water in + out off for the water feature.

Is there something specific worth spending money on, or will a large plastic tub with a couple of holes cut in the top do the job?

Thanks,

Robert

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just to be sure, but the R.O./ D.I. reservoir for the Mist King and the sump for a water feature really really should be two seperate containers. Gunk from and floating in the water feature will clog up the misting nozzles and cause extra wear on the pump's diaphram.

Other than the clean look of well thought out system using "sexy" reservoirs there isn't anything special about the continers used for them. The only thing that I'd mention is that it might be worth while to have a loose cover over your RO/DI reservoir to keep out dust and contaiminates which can clog misting nozzles.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It depends how big your cabinet is. If you want something simple but effective and have the room just use 5 or 3 gallon buckets. They can be drilled for bulkheads and many other fittings and can even be used with a lid.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I agree w the 5 gl bucket for the mistking res. For the drainage/circulation, I think that the easiest and cheapest way for a res w a filter would be to use something like a 10 gallon tank. You can use a cheap filter (like the ones that hang over the side of the tank) and a pump directly in the tank to feed the water feature. If you have the room.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the ideas.

@chin_monster - Thanks for double checking, but yes, the plan is to use a separate reservoir for the circulation sump, and misting system.

Is RO water the best to use? I'm sure from when keeping horned frogs in the past people used to avoid using RO water because it was too-pure and ran the risk of wicking nutrients out of the frog skin?

@mcaiger53 - Good ideas about the filter, I'll check those out.

Thanks again, I really appreciate all the advice.

Robert

1 - 5 of 5 Posts