Dendroboard banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all, I am building a 29 G paludarium (I don't keep DF's right now, I just have a japanese firebelly newt). I plan to have a carved GS background coated with DryLok (w/ acrylic paint to color) for a rock appearance.

I also want to make a trickling waterfall along the back wall. I want it to be more than a "drip" but less than a "waterfall", so I guess that would be a trickle wall? Anyway, I have some questions about water pumps.
  1. How should I choose a submersible pump for the purpose described above? What factors should I consider? I know the height that the water will be pumped matters
  2. Regarding the above question..as far as the "strength" of the pump and how much water it pumps per hour...do I need to get a pump that is exactly what I need, or can I get one that is a tiny bit stronger and adjust the flow with a ball valve or something? Or will that break the pump?
  3. I will be making a false bottom. I believe I have seen people make a column in the back corner of the tank that is empty behind the background of the viv. I assume this is where the pump goes, and then allows access to the pump for maintenance? It would also follow then that the column would have to be as wide as the pump at least..so I'd wouldn't want a large pump (considering it's only a 29 g tank)
  4. Are there any brands or types of submersibles you really like / recommend?

Any other advice or ideas would be appreciated as well

Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I use the exo-terra 350&250 powerhead submersible pumps. They have adjustable flow rates that you can adjust externally. Theyre pretty handy. Although a little big. I'm sure someone has a better alternative but I'm hesuit with the price and availability of them. No more thrash $20 for the bigger one. I've gotten a trickle effect with the 350 at minimum flow at 2ft high. Its capable of alot more.

As far as the waterfall,
Never worked with dry lok (yet). Although I've built two 29gal out of repair mortar that have been curing for a little over a month with the ph finally getting to 7.2 . Another two weeks with more frequent drainings and flushes and they should be solid. And always be sure to leave access to your pump. Should it get clogged or need replaced, you can easily get to it for whatever reason.

That's all I've got, hope it helps.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you, this was actually very helpful. I just looked up those pumps and they look very nice. I like all of the features they have and that you described. Sounds like what I'm looking for. I am wondering what the pump dimensions are though..amazon.com lists the dimensions of the 350 at 2.5 x 4.3 x 6 inches ...I am wondering if that is actually the pump size or if that is the package/box size. Do those dimensions sound right for the pump? And is the 6" dimension the height? If it's only 4.3 long that sounds nice and small to me, which I was hoping for.

thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts