Dendroboard banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a 20H vert and I'm trying to find a way to get pump access without giving up to much ground space. I could obviously put a pipe and cap in the substrate but I don't want to give up that much space. I do plan on drilling some holes in the top of the tank for a misting system and fan wires but nothing big enough to stick my hand down. Anybody have any pictures or suggestions? The waterfall will be in the back right corner where you can see the "pond".

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you are already drilling holes for wiring etc, have you considered drilling a couple more and running the pump in a small sump? One hole for a drain, and one for plumbing into the tank to power your waterfall.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
265 Posts
I used a 4" tube in the back corner of my tank.
You don't even notice it once you add all the final details.

Pictures are about 1/2 way down THIS PAGE that show you what I'm talking about.
I had to replace my pump and it was actually really easy.

Other users keep the pump outside of the tank and pump the water in via holes drilled through glass or from the top of the tank.

Some hide the pump behind rocks/bark, etc with a trap door to get below the false bottom.

Just don't plan the water feature last... keep it simple and try to design it for easy maintenance.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did think about the sump idea as that would make it really easy. I just wasn't sure how much I could actually drill without compromising the integrity of the tank. There will already be at least two holes. Also I was told you can't drill close to the edge of the tank which is kind of hard given that it's a vert. Steve I saw that thread and I'm actually taking a lot from it. I though the long pipe in the back left was your pump access. Is that just the drip wall and the access is elsewhere? I liked the pipe idea but didn't think I could utilize it as it's a vert and wont have a top opening. suppose I could put the screened pipe in the false bottom and paste it up with coco to make it blend in. Actually that screen top could make a nice brom planter.

·
Registered
52 Posts
A few extra holes aren't going to hurt anything, as long as they aren't too close to the edges or each other. There are people who drill so many holes into glass and acrylic tanks that they are almost swiss cheese.

Cheers,
Scott

·
Registered
436 Posts
I'd cut a section out from the false bottom material, a little larger than the pump itself, above where the pump will sit. Then, I'd take that tiny piece out, remove some plastic from the grid edges (we're talking 1-2mm at MOST from the edges), and then zip-tie it back in place with the pump in (but don't tighten like crazy). After you put screen over the whole thing, cut a section of screen out above this new trap door and then cut a bigger piece of screen to place over that hole. This way, when the pump dies, you can pull the substrate away, remove that section of screen, cut the zip ties, and remove the grid section and easily access the pump.

Now, if you're talking about wiring, I've seen a few people put a piece of PVC pipe in their GS background for wires to travel through for pumps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts