Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The diet is good and varied. Mostly ff's, a few bean beetles, and the tanks is seeded with springs and isos. I've ordered some repashy super pig in hopes of coloring him back up. I'm not sure how effective it will be since he doesn't seem to come out and hunt at feeding time like tincs do. I think most of the powder will be gone by the time he gets around to eating. Honestly the most I ever see him eat is picking off springs but he's a shy guy so who knows. I've also read that gut loading flys is ineffective. Anyone have some ideas or tips on how to color him up?

·
Registered
654 Posts
Dump the left over super pig or naturose into the tank, that way the springtails & or isopods will eat the super pig or naturose. I have seen springtails & isopods eat the left over "dust" & turn a nice red in color, so in theory, they will be gut loaded with the said super pig/naturose, & in turn your frogs will get the supplements.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Do you use Repashy Calcium Plus as part of your normal supplementation? It has a fair amount of carotenoids itself (don't quote me on this, but IIRC 8% of the formula is superpig or similar.... I remember hearing it somewhere but can't find the thread so take that for what it's worth. Either way, it does have carotenoids not found in Repcal/Herptivite etc)

·
Registered
135 Posts
Have you considered that the faded color was due to stress. It happens to some of my juvies from time to time. I would recommend isolating the frog and feeding them some easy prey items like springtails or isopods. I hope that helps.

Happy Frogging!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do you use Repashy Calcium Plus as part of your normal supplementation? It has a fair amount of carotenoids itself (don't quote me on this, but IIRC 8% of the formula is superpig or similar.... I remember hearing it somewhere but can't find the thread so take that for what it's worth. Either way, it does have carotenoids not found in Repcal/Herptivite etc)

I agree with Tclipse. If you weren't giving them vitamins before it makes a noticeable difference in about a month or so.

To get my Pumilio out into the open more often I place a dehydrated banana (Lasts longer than raw banana) chip on the leaf litter towards the front of their enclosure. This attracts the flies and therefore attracts your frog. Just give the banana chip a quick spray and the humidity in your viv will rehydrate the chip. I also dump my dusted flies on the banana chip so if any vitamin dust falls out, it will stick to the banana chip the flies are feeding on. This seems to help the issue of the dust coming off before the frog can get to the flies.

·
Registered
987 Posts
I love Repashy supplements, but I see a much greater color "enhancement" when I use Naturose rather than SuperPig. You might try this and see if that helps with the color.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just been dusting with equal parts herptivite and repcal calcium. I have not tried any color enhancers yet or tried gut loading. Do repcal products not contain the right amount of nutrients for coloration? I doubt it's due to stress. The tank is decently planted and set up on a mistking so the only disruption is opening the front for feeding.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I have just been dusting with equal parts herptivite and repcal calcium. I have not tried any color enhancers yet or tried gut loading. Do repcal products not contain the right amount of nutrients for coloration? I doubt it's due to stress. The tank is decently planted and set up on a mistking so the only disruption is opening the front for feeding.

Rep-cal doesn't contain any carotenoids. Herptivite has beta carotene which helps with yellows (but isn't a great source for color or vitamin A with frogs). The addition of the other carotenoids isn't intended to "enhance" their colors instead it is aimed at sustaining or restoring coloration. The carotenoids aren't important just for color, they are also important for immune functions, conversion to vitamin A, and potentially other functions such as antioxidents.

It is actually important to the frog's to provide a diversity of carotenoids.

Ed

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I love Repashy supplements, but I see a much greater color "enhancement" when I use Naturose rather than SuperPig. You might try this and see if that helps with the color.

This is because it is primarily astaxanthin and canthaxanthin which in and of themselves important, appear to not meet all of the metabolic needs of the frogs. There are six carotenoids commonly found in anurans when analyzed and the Repashy products have all of those in the mix. As it is a mix, you see competition for uptake of the carotenoids and this is also impacted by the amount of fat in the diet. A mix is better for the frogs than swamping them with just one (although if feeding multiple times in a week, it could be used during that one feeding).

Ed

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the info. I will definitely be doing more research on supplements as time allows. I currently feed and dust 3 times a week. I've heard you can over supplement with super pig how much is to much?

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will definitely be doing more research on supplements as time allows. I currently feed and dust 3 times a week. I've heard you can over supplement with super pig how much is to much?
Where did you hear that? I'm curious as that statement has been made a couple of times...

The only risk to using the super pig would be if you were using it in exclusion of other supplements so the frogs were not getting enough of the other supplements.

Ed

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I can't remember exactly where I read it. i think it was probably somewhere around the time superpig first exploded as the new thing. Can't even remember if it was db or another forum. I've talked to a few people that seem to have had the same idea though. The supplement itself didn't have any real directions on it and smelled quite strong though so it almost seemed logical.

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
I can't remember exactly where I read it. i think it was probably somewhere around the time superpig first exploded as the new thing. Can't even remember if it was db or another forum. I've talked to a few people that seem to have had the same idea though. The supplement itself didn't have any real directions on it and smelled quite strong though so it almost seemed logical.
That is why I was asking as that statment pops up every so often and is not supported by any of the data on those carotenoids in amphibians.... It's happened enough that it has to be coming from somewhere...

With respect to odor.. a lot of things smell strong but don't have a correlation as to how much can be ingested before a risk can be found.... for example ripe bananas have a strong odor yet you can consume enormous amounts of them without reaching a toxic level (you'll get sick of them first..).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts