Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for a male to fight with a female, moving on top of her and wrestling around a bit?

rob

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've noticed several pumilio pairs of mine fighting amongst themselves, only to lay fertile clutches not more than 10 minutes later. I don't think it's much more than a dominance display. I've never noticed any ill effects or serious injuries, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The other one with the calling male definitely looks like a female and has never called, even when separated from the calling male I have seen them bunk down for the night together in peace, so hopefully this is just a little lover's quarrel.

rob

·
Registered
850 Posts
My pair of vittatus fought like crazy up til the point where they started breeding. They were fighting so often I was convinced they were two males, but then they started laying. Every single time they were wrestling though, the female was always on top of the male kicking his a$$ while he was calling. This seemed to only make him call more often and louder. They were some quite interesting displays of affection.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
It is not uncommon to see wrestling similar to that which you would see between say two females (looks kind of like amplexus). I don't see it often in the pumilio I work with but it does happen occasionally. Just keep a close watch on them and if it doesn't let up and you don't see fertile clutches after a while you might want to think about separating.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well this morning they were sleeping on the same leaf of a brom with no fighting whatsoever, go figure.

rob

G

·
Has anyone witnessed, for lack of a better word, silent calling, where a male puffs up his chest and throat but makes no noise? I see this a lot with a new male that just came in. I don't know if he is calling and I cannot hear the frequency, or if he is simply trying to intimidate the other unsexed pumilio in the tank (which might also be male)?

·
Administrator
8,797 Posts
I saw this with immature males - before they could actually do a full call.

The full call came along soon enough (and has never stopped!).

s
hicksonj said:
Has anyone witnessed, for lack of a better word, silent calling, where a male puffs up his chest and throat but makes no noise? I see this a lot with a new male that just came in. I don't know if he is calling and I cannot hear the frequency, or if he is simply trying to intimidate the other unsexed pumilio in the tank (which might also be male)?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.