Dendroboard banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was going through my normal price list check this morning and came acorss Mark M Lucas's price lsit that had been updated. I saw his ads for his wc pumilio on kingsnake with a few different color morphs, but on his site, it says that these are CB. Here's the thing from his site.

CB = Captive Born from Captive Born parents
C = Captive Born, but origin of parents not definitely known
W = Wild Caught animals legally harvested from the wild

Strawberry Poison Frog
Dendrobates pumillio
juveniles CB $110.00 $100.00 $90.00

Just thought I'd see what other people thought on this issue. I'm not buying any, jsut noticed it and owndered if anyone else saw it or knew if these were true captive bred blue jenas, almirante, etc. I HIGHLY doubt that these frogs are captive bred from captive bred parents for only $110 a piece, when imports are more expensive (at most places). Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
With the luck people have been having with blue jeans if he was breeding them he would only have a few available, and they would be atleast $150 a piece. And the almiratne just started coming in the country about a month ago, so as soon as he got them they laid eggs, raised tadpoles in less than a month, and now they are ready to be shipped? I dont think so.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
These are the same imported "farm raised" as the others are offering.

G

·
again !?! :? I hope there are real "farm raised" .... grr all these auratus too... :shock: I hate Worl "wicked" Fauna :lol:

·
Registered
173 Posts
CB=farmraised?

My guess is because these are being imported under the pretenses of being farmed raised (not captured quite from the wild) that he's representing them as one step further. It is a misrepresentation be careful.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mark Lucas works for Strictly Reptiles in Hollywood, FL and sells herps imported to Strictly online for a commission. Mark is a very nice guy and has a lot of years in the herp business. I would recommend quarantine to all wc frogs and especially anything coming from STrictly or other large wholesalers.

Just a note on the cb pumilios, all CITES II herps exported from Panama must be cb/farm raised. There are certain steps that the exporters go through to be able to offer a specific species. This includes hours of field study, faciltiy approvement/inspection, chaperoned collecting trips, and documented production of cb offspring.

It took the current exporter of the pumilio about 5 years to qualify for the pumilio. Roughly the same amount of time for the auratus that poured into the US recently.

The pumilios are being cb in panama in greenhouse type enclosures. ARE all the pumilios imported cb? I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

Just some thoughts
ERic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts