Dendroboard banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
With the exception of 3 eggs I pulled out recently from my imitators viv I have been letting them raise all their own tads.
In their case, when you pull all the eggs you find you miss out on some very cool tad raising behavior.Hearing a male sweet talking a female into a brom axil to feed a tad is something everyone keeping imitatiors, or most any thumbnails, should try and experience sometime.
Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have to say that I do very much enjoy watching the bastis take care of the already deposited tads. I will be going ahead and experimenting with hand-rearing tadpoles, I'm not expecting any great successes, and even if I did I don't know what I'd do with the information either. I'm hoping hobbyists do continue to let parents raise tads, even when hand-rearing is an option.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
One thing that I feel needs to be mentioned again is that when you talk about finding alternate means of raising egg feeders, there is no need to stop the parents from continuing to raise tads. My goal has always been to try to raise tads in addition to what they raise on their own.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
rmelancon said:
One thing that I feel needs to be mentioned again is that when you talk about finding alternate means of raising egg feeders, there is no need to stop the parents from continuing to raise tads. My goal has always been to try to raise tads in addition to what they raise on their own.
Exactly! It's the history of the hobby that worries me. With other species of PDF, once hand rearing methods were developed, allowing parents to rear eggs and deposit tads virtually stopped. Some species have produced many generations now without the opportunity to express their parental care behavior. Fortunately the trend seems to be swinging back toward letting some frogs do their thing. In the past I have suggested spot checking breeding groups for parental care behavior. I suggested a mimimum of testing every third generations. That figure is arbitrary but was chosen because it seems like normally you can count on finding frogs from the grandparent generation still alive and breeding which would have the behavior. Much better is allowing some clutches of every breeding care be taken care of by the parents. I think this would have a spin-off benefit in that hobbyists would have to be more careful about designing and building their vivs to give the frogs what they need to care for eggs and tads. This would help to push vivarium design in general ahead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
oh of course, I have no intentions on keeping my bastis from raising tads of their own. I'm only experimenting with alternate feeding methods because they laid quite a few clutches of eggs in a very short amount of time.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
kinetic said:
oh of course, I have no intentions on keeping my bastis from raising tads of their own. I'm only experimenting with alternate feeding methods because they laid quite a few clutches of eggs in a very short amount of time.
I hope you didn't think I was harping on your project. It sounds like you have the right idea in mind. I was just more thinking out loud about the consequences of hand rearing in general. To be clear. I'm not against hand rearing or artificial egg feeder diets. There's no doubt hand rearing is responsible for the variety of PDF now available as cb and I'm sure an egg feeder diet would have the same positive effect. I, and obviously others who have added to this thread, just like to get the negative aspects out on the table so these new tools don't get abused in the long run.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I've really enjoyed this discussion Brent, and I have to say that I do agree with your arguments. I think it is a good idea to at let the parents raise at least a few tads. Not only to ensure that the parenting behavior survives, but because it's fun to watch. There are many things that can only be learned by watching them raise their young.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
My suggestion, as a long time fish keeper. Would be to try decapsulated brine shrimp eggs. or maybee fruit fly larvae?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hello,
This is the first topic I have replied to. I dont know anything about eggfeeders but I thought that I would give my 2 cents, has anyone ever tried fish eggs(caviar)?

21 - 29 of 29 Posts