Dendroboard banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do female Pumilio expand their throat like a male calling?

The reason I ask is the one Pumilio that I suspected from the beginning to be a male is doing this, but I don't hear any calling. I can see the expanded sack, but no noise. Just want to make sure it is a male.

Also, if there is one male and two females, will the females sometimes fight over the male?

Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
I haven't got any pums,yet, but can tell you that with raising imitators I have watched one male doing that and I couldn't hear a thing.Anyway, after awhile I could start to hear it and now he calls all the time.I bet your pum is just starting to try and will be singing for you soon.
Mark W.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Leif,
I have seen male pumilio and other morphs "calling" without sound.

Rich

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I wonder if it's possible that darts might have some calls that are above or below the range of human hearing. Perhaps that's why most of them do not have very impressive calls that we can hear.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

The females do not expand there throats at all then? It may be that the male is calling and I just can't here it. I was watching as he was doing it from one side of the tank and another pum crept from the other side of the tank over to him and sat beside him on the leaf. So "she" might have heard something. But it seemed like "she" only wanted to snuggle, each time he tried to get frisky "she" would kick him. Hopefully this is a pair and not a dominant male and submissive male. I'm keeping a close eye on them.

Thanks again :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts