Dendroboard banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, I am planning on getting some pumilio's this spring or summer. I just have a question, what is the best size of vivarium for 1 pair of pumilios? I have a 75 gallon I am planning on putting 2.2 ratio in, very heavily planted it will be. Lots of broms, etc. I have not got very much knowledge of pums yet, but I figured with this much space, they should not fight to much. So, please tell me if this is a good idea, or just stick with a pair, or maybe a 1.2 trio, thanks in advance

Ed

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I would keep a pair or at most 1.2 in there. Brent posted a story on here about his Blue Jeans that went from 6? to 1.2 in a 100gallon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I agree with Jacob, 1.1 or 1.2 at the most. I keep all my D.pumilio in 15 gal high's in pairs only and, I've seen them try and go at each other in adjoining tanks through the glass.
Johnny
TIEHERP

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, one more question, what are the more desirable of these two species, bruno or almirante? I may do bastis, but every body has them, so I don't know. Tell me what you think

Ed

G

·
desirable? I think you should just get whichever ones you like better. both almirantes and the greens are fairly common now due to the recent importations, so neither are of say blue jeans level. just make sure to get ones you like, I doubt you would ever have trouble selling CB pumilios if that's your concern.

·
Registered
5,684 Posts
Eeenie meenie miiny mooe.... GREEN!

wait... no, RED!

(ok, stop laughing about my spelling)

Seriously tho, these guys have the same care, pick a color, any color, as long as its red/grey-blue or green. Hell, maybe even some spotted ones. lol.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
JOHNNY said:
I agree with Jacob, 1.1 or 1.2 at the most. I keep all my D.pumilio in 15 gal high's in pairs only and, I've seen them try and go at each other in adjoining tanks through the glass.
Johnny
TIEHERP
I have a question about this. I've seen people recommend that pumilio tanks have opaque dividers between them to prevent the males from fighting through the glass. I could also see that maybe this could stimulate territoriality and thus breeding. Just curious what people think. Is letting the males see each other in adjacent tanks a help or a curse?

As far as tank size. I recommend the biggest you can and only keep a pair in it. A 75g would do very nicely I think. I think this has been the unanimous advice here.

As far as what morph. Like others say, get the one you like. But if you like them all, pick on that not many people are having luck breeding. Especially if you can put a pair in a 75g because I think you have high odds of success. Mark Wilson was telling me privately that he's a little worried that the green pumilio aren't as "sexy" as other morphs and may fall off the radar. I agree. Another one of concern are the blues if you can find them. Many years ago I was told they seem more shy and difficult than some of the other pums.

G

·
I have the two 20 verts my two pairs of greens are in side by side.Generally, when one calls the other one does too but I have cocomatt covering 3 sides of it so I don't know if having clear sides would distract from breeding or enhance it.
The way mine were when I had a 2.1 in there they would hunt each other down when they heard calling and start scrapping and the female would just go about her business of hunting up food.
Having them like that made them compete over territories moreso then give the female any attention.It wasn't more then a few days after I took out the extra male I found my first clutch of eggs from them.
Like Brent has talked about I think having pums in bigger vivs would be the way to go.I think it will be very cool to have mine in one and be able to see what certain areas they liked better to lay their eggs and raise their young instead of more or less "forcing" them to do it where I want them to.
Mark W.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Not too many people haves bastis, even though they have been producing in captivity fairly well. It seems most people have been buying the almirante. I would personally pick brunos. But in the shipment mine came in their were no brunos and the bastis werent in good shape so I got two pairs of almirante, and they are great frogs. It is up to you, pick which color you like. I would think have clear sides would hinder breeding as the males would be too busy establishing territories to breed. With my other frogs I have noticed it is better to have a divider so they cant see food in another tank, the old adage the grass is always greener on the other side seems to apply to frogs to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts