Dendroboard banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My very first pumilio bastimentos rfb larva is in this bromelia leaf pocket. But, after a month now, it starts to die (the leaf). I do not think it will last 2 more months, hold water, for the larva to fully turn into a froglet.
Is there anything that i can do about this? Put it in a silicone tube in the nut below and hope mama finds it, maybe stick a bromelia leaf in with the tube so it looks natural?

or, can i take it out and feed it Ph Bicolor eggs?? I have enough of those that i do not want to hatch (3 females in good condition producing a clutch every 2 weeks.
Or should i let nature take it’s course??

·
Registered
1.1 D.Tinctorius nominat, 0.0.2 D.Tinctorius tumucumaque, 1.1 oophaga pumilio bastimentos rfb
129 Posts
There’s three options, the leaf stays there diying holding water and your pums keep feeding, the leaf falls with the tadpole in there and it becomes isopod and springtail food or you try and save it using ph eggs, the last option is more risky but if you want to try and save it you would have to get rid of all the gel surrounding the egg as they won’t eat it and feed 4 eggs every 2-3 days I think, i dont know if it would work but at least you try and save it. I’m harvesting tinctorius eggs to try if one of my pairs doesn’t transport to see if it works.

what ever you do in the end you will probably have more tads so don’t really worry. And they’ll produce more.

hope this helped, personally I would try to save it if you see the leaf is going to fall 100% sure but if not I would let nature work it’s way.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have read that you can transfer tadpoles to a different bromeliad axel and the mother will still feed them. I'm not sure how they find them. Tadpoles will sometime vibrate. Maybe that is how she finds them?

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
dead axils hold water -some for a very long time. Leaving stuff be is generally beneficial than trying to do too much and moving it around. As long as the axil holds water I would not worry.

·
Administrator
4,771 Posts
I have read that you can transfer tadpoles to a different bromeliad axel and the mother will still feed them. I'm not sure how they find them. Tadpoles will sometime vibrate. Maybe that is how she finds them?
At least some species make a mental map of their environment and remember where they left their kids.

The motion ("vibration") of the tads that I know of is a signaling device to the parents that says "I'm hungry -- feed me".

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all. As long as it is still holding water i’ll leave it. I just hope it will not suddenly stop being watertight and i am too late. But, it also nature i guess

·
Registered
Frogs
1,647 Posts
Thanks all. As long as it is still holding water i’ll leave it. I just hope it will not suddenly stop being watertight and i am too late. But, it also nature i guess
If it happens to start leeking or brealing down, just transfer the tadpole tona nearby (empty) axil of that bromeliad.
The mother will 9/10 recognize it and proceed care or have her instinct of feeding it kick in and also keep caring for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts