Dendroboard banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand there have been losses during the importation of the Pumilio shipments from Panama, in an effort to provide hobbyists with protective information it would be great if anyone could provide whatever health info they have gathered from any animals included in these imports. Some of these importations have had almost no losses and the animals have been in perfect shape, for at least a couple of the shipments this has not been the case.
From what I understand the green morph has been subject to far greater loss than the red morph, possibly this can be attributed to this morph being more delicate and succeptible to the stresses of shipping (which would be my guess). But any info we could provide to one another could prevent loss in our collections.
Robb mentioned in another thread that some early tests came back negative for Chytrid (this fungal problem is fatal for the frogs but can be cured if caught in time), any one else with test info please let us know what you have found.
Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have gotten a large number of frogs from the recent shipments. Haven't had fecals done, but I can tell you about the condition of the frogs. I have lost 50% of the most recent imports. First, I haven't seen any greater losses with greens over the bastis or "almirante". The almirante seem to be a little more resistant, but I have still lost some. I have had bastis with "popeye" , bloat, and then some that are dragging limbs - although that may be because they came in very cold despite having heat packs and excellent packing. Also, the now infamous grey bump on the skin has been present on a large number of frogs. In general, they seem to be full of fungal and bacterial disease. What makes this difficult is that it is not the importers fault in any way. I was fortunate enough to get my frogs immediately after they arrived at the importers. I also find it hard to believe that the frogs in the greenhouses are just carrying all this crap around on them. So, I have to wonder if they are being collected from the greenhouses and then thrown into a large tank together for several days before being exported. Imagine what 200-300 frogs in one tank could do to each other.

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pumilio Health

I got 6 of the green morph a couple of days after the last importation, all of the animals looked to be in perfect condition. About 3 days after I brought them home several developed spots (open sores/skin breaks?). I ended up losing all but 1 along with a trio of Azureus that I was going to sell that were in a tank naxt to them. The Azureus developed lesions on the hind areas and after watching this progress I euthanized them. I have since broken down and cleaned all of my tanks and feel the problem has been eradicated however whatever these Pumilio harbored was something new to me. I would have considered the possibility of their toxing themselves out as if they had been thrown into a tank of 200-300 together as mentioned previously however it definately escalated into something contagious.
I did get 1 pair of Alimarente and they showed no signs of problems and are doing great (along with the lone green survivor).

G

·
0 Posts
I lost 1 out of 5 man creeks that I picked up. The one I lost died shortly after arrival from the first shipment. I had fecals done on the rest, and oddly enough, they were completely clean. I had been treating them for a while, so that may have cleaned them up pretty well. They all look like little red and blue dumplings now :)

·
Super Moderator
3,555 Posts
I sent a sample from my Almirante to be checked by Dr. Frye earlier this week, Still waiting on the results. I recently got these frogs from another board member, and as far as I know they haven't had any treatments since their importation, so we'll see how clean they really are.

·
Registered
666 Posts
All came back clean . I had a float, stain ,and smear preformed on all of my pumilio . They are doing great . The "bruno's that I recieved from Amanda and Greg (AZDR) have been breeding like crazy lots of nice tads that are about ready to morph . I believe that they came from one of the first imports ,they aquired them a month before NWFF. The other 2 bruno that I recieved from Glenn Novotny from a later shippment I believe that was from the second import . Haven't breed but doing nice and are really fat . The Alimarente I recieved from Glenn on the same shippment 2 of them have breed but eggs quickly turned moldy .
All and all I have been rather pleased w/ the quality and the conditions the frogs were in .
Sorry to hear about others losses. :cry:
Darren

G

·
0 Posts
I to got 6 of the green morph a couple of days after the last importation and they had the same symtoms, 4 of the 6 did and spread to 6 of my blue and black auratus whitch have all died. I just hope it doest spread to any of my othe tanks

G

·
0 Posts
about this infection,
bill at quality exotics performs skin treatments on all of his pumilios after he began losing a few. from what I've gathered it is pretty effective. I bought a pair of bastimentos from him a few weeks ago and they are doing great. the female is getting really fat, I'm hoping that she's going to be laying some eggs any day now.

·
Super Moderator
3,555 Posts
I purchased my Bastis from Bill also, mainly because of the treatment regimen that he was putting them through. So far they all look good, and the confirmed male that I ordered started calling in his shoebox 2 minutes after I put him in there.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Mark,
Were the azureus in another tank or simply a division of one big tank? I know disease can jump from tank to tank in a collection but it's not real common. Similar things happened when the auratus first came in from Panama. Early shipments were great. Later shipments had high losses.

·
Registered
4,548 Posts
Not making any accusations...but maybee since the first shipments were so successful, the importer gets lulled into a false sense of security, and gets a little careless?

When I was looking into getting some of the red with blue legs (whatever we are calling them now :shock: ) which was when the first shippment was due to come in, I was told that they were all going to be kept separate and given treatments of panacur (I think), and frogs would be shipped with some of the drug for the owner to continue treatment. Is this still the practice?

I cant imagine having hundreds of frogs to send out...to anxious customers...let alone taking the time to treat them with anti-parasite meds, and trying to sex them all. I could see where that could burn a person out real quick.

Then again, when you are talking $100 frogs...If it were me, nothing would leave my hands that wasn't absolutely perfect!

·
Registered
3,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Pumilio Health

I screwed up with the Azureus, they were a trio I had in my son's 5th grade classroom that I had brought home for the holidays (I replaced them with the surviving pair of red Pumilio). I had moved a couple of plants that were in with the Pumilio while they still looked good. I did not lose anything else and have since cleaned all the tanks that I have. I blame myself as I got careless and made assumptions. Nothing like breaking down and cleaning all your tanks along with the expense (although a few were due to be redone) to drive home the point of quarentine. Think as punishment I will post only on the beginner forum for a few weeks!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts