Dendroboard banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any tips or tricks (if there are any) to get froglets to start taking FF's. They seem of able size to me, stike them and instantly spit them out!! Thanks for any suggestions.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
they might not be used to eating them. Give them some time.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you feeding them melanogaster or hydei? My friend's baby leucomelas would spit out any hydei he gave them, but would gladly eat the melanogaster, until they got a little larger. I do not know if this has any relevance to your situation, but I thought it could not hurt to mention it.
Kevin

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
This is not terribly uncommon. The best remedy I have was passed down to me by Christina Hanson. Offer them parasitic wasps. I get mine from Beneficial insectary and when you call, ask them to split your colony into 1/4 ready to hatch and 3/4 delayed hatch. Some pumilio froglets will take ff right away and others seem to have to get some extra size on before they will tackle ff. But this is a critical time for the froglets as they can go downhill very quickly unless you have a LOT of springtails they can browse on. The wasps seem to do just the trick at bridging the gap. In fact, I just placed some wasps in with a couple of small froglets an hour ago.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
melanogasters "flightless" I have found work very well at getting new froglets to eat. But I also keep springtails in with my froglets to help supplement till I see them continually eating FF.

-Matt

·
Registered
639 Posts
That "end of the culture" idea is a good one. What strain of mels are you using. The tiniest I know of are the flightless wingless ones. Maybe try those if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Sometimes what I will do is create stunted cultures. By this I mean I use make cultures with only half or even the third of the media I usually use. Because the larvae don't have as much space they will molt out a bit smaller- hence the stunting.

Best,

Justin

·
Registered
467 Posts
you can also increase the development temperature for the melanogaster...they'll come out of pupation a little smaller.
~B

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Ben_C said:
you can also increase the development temperature for the melanogaster...they'll come out of pupation a little smaller.
~B
Ah Ben,

Thanks for adding that in as I forgot that was a crucial part. If you have too low of temps then you won't get the "stunting".

Peace

Justin

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. I have tried some stunted before, but I believe they had some supplement dust on them (residual from the feeding cup) I will try those again without any sups and see. Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts