Dendroboard banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I had one of my unique and special trios of pumilio in a vertical conversion 20gal and they eventually laid a good clutch of 7 and all eventually progressed to tads and were transported...eventually they seemed to have perished and none making it past early stages, so I decided to tear down that tank and move this big trio into a bigger tank about 6-7 weeks ago. so after sitting in my empty and with all the junk torn down and unwatered and dried as hell for month and a half, I decided to let a buddy come by my place and pick up the tank for him to use on thumbs......about an hour later I got a text from him showing me what he had found inside a dried up bromeliad axel....I was shocked and amazed ( a bit dissapointed in my inabilty to correctly inspect tanks before tearing down) I have no clue how the tiny little fellow managed to survive without water and food since all substrate was remomed and tank sat in the dark.... now this takes me back to all the multiple post and expert tips and what not about how fragile and delictae pumilio froglets are and how experienced you must be in order to ever even consider working with them....as all that is true to a certain extent....I think these little guys do half of the work even the most experienced and advanced froggers in the hobby simply think they do to help them thrive...I am not taking anything away from our elder hobbyist and obligate pros...but this little guy simple just proved to me that it doese not take all the knowldge in the world to raise pumilio.... here are a few pics of him as he is fat and chasing down isos and st's

Attachments

·
Registered
19,322 Posts
It would be a better anecdote if it is still alive in six months.. Historically in the hobby, they morph out just fine, but sometime between metamorphosis and six months (sometimes a little longer) they crash and burn.

Ed

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be a better anecdote if it is still alive in six months.. Historically in the hobby, they morph out just fine, but sometime between metamorphosis and six months (sometimes a little longer) they crash and burn.

Ed
very true and you hit the nail right on the head. I am very very curious as to how this guy will turnout within half a year. but to be honest...I think the guy will pull through...he is agressive as heck and is literally chasing down micro fauna around tank... I am def xing my fingers for him to thrive... but I still feel like I learned a bit about these pumilio I never really knew...simply that they are tougher than I personally thought they were.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Under the right conditions this happens to many, I dont see it as a testiment to how they are hardier than many think or even that they aren't so much of a frog that requires experienced froggers. Just sounds like luck to me. The froglet was likely near morph at the time you moved the viv and most viv retain enough humidity and micro fauna to sustain themselves. Its like Ive said I could walk away from my vivs for a month and the frogs would make it.

This is however what interests me..............
I decided to let a buddy come by my place and pick up the tank for him to use on thumbs.....
Are people selling or giving out planted used vivs for others to use? I see trouble from many angles with this. Your inability to locate the frog isnt the issue its what you consider to be tearing down a ttank.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Under the right conditions this happens to many, I dont see it as a testiment to how they are hardier than many think or even that they aren't so much of a frog that requires experienced froggers. Just sounds like luck to me. The froglet was likely near morph at the time you moved the viv and most viv retain enough humidity and micro fauna to sustain themselves. Its like Ive said I could walk away from my vivs for a month and the frogs would make it.

This is however what interests me.............. Are people selling or giving out planted used vivs for others to use? I see trouble from many angles with this. Your inability to locate the frog isnt the issue its what you consider to be tearing down a ttank.
its simply my way of terminating use of this tank and emptying it out and having a friend drive over to my house so that he can finish removing what I left inside of it ( two dried up broms- and a bit of soil) and rinse,sterilize and make use of it once again on a pair of thumbnails frogs.....did I say or do something out of the ordinary when someone simply does not need a certain tank anymore? if so, please enlighten me.....:confused:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Just that you were passing on a planted viv, I was wondering if this is common, It does have risks when you put frogs in a used viv previously attended by other frogs. Wasnt going after you personally just making a statement. You did not say it was tore down to the point of two broms and some soil. That there makes it harder to belive the frogs was in there that long, It should have killed the frog on its way in route in the TX heat Im sure you know all to well.

Michael

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just that you were passing on a planted viv, I was wondering if this is common, It does have risks when you put frogs in a used viv previously attended by other frogs. Wasnt going after you personally just making a statement. You did not say it was tore down to the point of two broms and some soil. That there makes it harder to belive the frogs was in there that long, It should have killed the frog on its way in route in the TX heat Im sure you know all to well.

Michael
I know it all very well...and quite amazingly, it was 12-1am when he left my house with the tank and about 2-3 am when we met to get the frog back to my place. and it is exactly why I wanted to start this thread, because the tank was literally down to maybe two handfuls of substrate and two very dry broms. how he did it??? beats me... was I in disbelief? hell yes and it is why I feel that they are tough as s%$t.------------ now, if this had taken place at 12-1pm of the afternoon....I guarantee you this thread wouldnt exist... no worries...no offense taken

·
Registered
433 Posts
This seems to be the whole "my grandpa smoked and lived till he was 99, so smoking isn't nearly as bad as everyone says" type argument.

Even if the frog lives, I think it says nothing about the general difficulties in keeping a particular species. As far as that argument, I think you are way off. As far as it being a cool story about the survival of a particular single frog, I agree this it's pretty cool.

·
Banned
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This seems to be the whole "my grandpa smoked and lived till he was 99, so smoking isn't nearly as bad as everyone says" type argument.

Even if the frog lives, I think it says nothing about the general difficulties in keeping a particular species. As far as that argument, I think you are way off. As far as it being a cool story about the survival of a particular single frog, I agree this it's pretty cool.
I couldnt agree with you more. My direction was mainly towards telling a good story of such a little underdog beating all odds and surviving almost two months on his own. As for keeping thus species compared to others, you are totally correct. I mean, starting with plant placement( broms) film canister placement and angles and what not. Struct temerature control and constant monitoring....compared to tge larger species...ya, they really a more complex species. Are they as hard as advertised? I personally dont feel they are, but like michael said in previous post....luck. I might have had lady luck on my side on some successful breeding results with my obligates... Or maybe I really do know more than what I am giving myself credit for which I think might be the case. I do feel like I can leace my tanks for weeks and my pums would still pull through since I have done everything right for tgem to thrive

1 - 10 of 10 Posts