Dendroboard banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
I was looking for a translation of what my pumilio have been up to the past couple days, or at least would like to compare with what other people have observed. They had been fairly subdued since I bought them about a couple weeks ago; the male called frequently in the morning and at night, but the female seemed to pay absolutely no attention to him, and never left the top third of the tank. However, yesterday when I came into the room in the early afternoon the male was incessantly calling, and seemed to be leading the female around. She still didn't seem to pay too much attention, and was often diverted by nearby fruit flies, but sort of zig-zagginly followed him around his favorite bromeliad. Unfortunately, I had to move the tank home as it is spring break for me, but the frogs almost immediately resumed upon being placed in their new location. They kept this sort of thing up for the rest of the evening, even a while after their light went out. The only potentially fruitful thing that came out of this was that once the female all of a sudden plunked herself down into an axil of the bromeliad the male had been trying to get her interested in. Is this significant at all, or pure coincidence? Is this indicative of any accomplishment?

Anyway, this afternoon when I got up they were doing the exact same thing, which they continued for an hour or two until they abruptly stopped. The male spent the rest of the day back in a bromeliad tank (not the one that I think of as his territory) and the female went back up to her corner at the top of the tank. They spent the rest of the day in these locations, hardly moving. Is THIS indicative of anything? Did they breed while I wasn't watching, or are they just resting? Additionally, today was quite different weather-wise - any chance that a dramatic change in barometric pressure would send them to ground for a while?

Sorry for the long post :) ! I would love to hear what others have observed along these lines. It seems to me that the best way we can learn more about these guys is by comparing and pooling results and gathering as much data as we can on their behavior, to see what trends become apparent. Anyway, I look forward to any replies :).

-Niels

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just curious-- did you look in the brom axil that she plopped down in? The first time my almirante's laid was in a brom axil and already had almost fully developed tads before I noticed. It is weird that they would continue after that if they did lay though. Try looking around the terrarium, you might find something. If nothing, just be patient, because you definitely have a pair and this courting can last over several days.

You said that you're on spring break- so am I. where do you go to school?

Best,

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I tried looking into the brom, but didn't see anything really obvious in there. Today they resumed their prior activity on and off, so I guess the courtship is continuing...but I'm still curious to hear if anyone has noticed behavioral changes in their frogs in response to weather conditions. I go to Michigan State U. by the way, how about you exclusivehawk?

-Niels

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think that the weather changes correlate alot to behavior changes. I've heard it has to do alot with barometric pressure. This has to do with some darts that are more seasonal than others like leucs.

I go to Tenn. Tech. University.

G

·
I'd keep watching to see if she returns to the axil you said she plopped down in.
If she was in the water she might have been feeding a tad.They are very hard to see unless they are clsoe to the top.My female was feeding one I could see from it's silouette when it moved.The brom was up high in the viv and I can home and caught her feeding it.
One other one I found because when I peeked into the tank and I noticed a disturbance in the water.Kind of reminded me of when I am trying to sneak up on a trout I didn't see first and it bolts,LOL.
Sounds like you are on your way, good luck.
Mark

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, I'll keep checking! She hasn't gone back into that pool yet that I've seen, but I was out a lot today and could have easily missed it. The male certainly centers HIS attention on it...all of his calling seems bent on getting her back near it.

On a slightly different note, I remember reading in other posts that parental care of offspring varies between different Pumilio morphs...are there any similar differences between the courtship rituals of the morphs? This is all so exciting :)!

-Niels

G

·
I recommend keeping your distance and not bothering them to much. Not that you cant watch just dont disrupt, and do something like open up the tannk. Since you cant remove the tads anyways, there is really nothing you can do but wait. I am guessing it wont be long and see tads, eggs, frogs or all 3.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

Well, similar activity was going on this afternoon, followed by the usual break in the evening. Then a couple hours ago everything went crazy! The female hopped near the male, who suddenly made this kind of lunge at her. It looked like he was trying to push her off her leaf at first. Thus began a wild chase around the tank, during which at one point the male was holding on to the female's midsection as she careened around. After they'd settled down a little, the male kept getting closer and closer to the female, and would eventually put his foot on her. She pretty much seemed to ignore him, but if he got too pushy she hopped a little out of the way. Throughout the whole performance the male called at varying speeds. Is this still a courtship behavior? It was certainly different from what I've seen thus far! Now they seem to be settling down for bed...

-Niels

G

·
I hate to say this but with the grabbing in the midesction it sounds to me like you might have two males. I watched the same behavior with my green pums.One of the males went silent and I thought everything was going to be fine.They seemd to get along fine then one day the one that went silent challenged the vocal male and they went at it pretty hard until I separated them.
I'm not saying it isn't courtship behavior but with my green pumilios when they locked up it was a fight for dominance.
Maybe other morphs go about it differently.
Mark W.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yeah I kinda cringed when I read that -- your last post makes it sound like you've got 2 males. You might want to try and separate them and see if they both call in separate tanks. If so then bingo. I have a wav of a pumilio on my cell phone that I play and it gets my male going most of the time. Try doing that. From your first couple of posts sounded like a pair, now not so sure. Keep your eyes open

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hahahaha...greeeeat. Well, that was an isolated occurrence, which as far as I know has not been repeated. The main thing that makes me think they are not two males is that the one I've been calling "female" has never shown ANY sort of aggression to the confirmed male. He's still following "her" off and on, getting real close, and calling, but "she" pays absolutely no attention. If it was another male, wouldn't it either act submissive or try to call/interact back? If this keeps up, I guess I'll have to separate them for a bit...maybe then we'll see :)...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts