Dendroboard banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question that maybe someone can answer and help a brother. I’m working with trios of El Dorado 1.2 and Cristobal 1.2. There in 37G column tanks with lots of room and MANY broms. Breeding conditions are perfect. Since July 4 the El Dorado and Cristobal haven’t stop calling and laying clutches (Dorado 45 eggs/ Cristobal 30 eggs) estimate.

Let me know if I’m crazy but 70% of the time, they lay their clutches on the edge of a brom leaf. By the time the eggs turn to tadpoles the clutch is cliff hanging off the leaf. Iv seen a clutch fall to the ground before but i have also notice clutches drying out. There’s been cases of them vanishing as well.

There’s a high possibility that if the clutch is not dried out then they have been transported but i haven’t seen any tadpoles in broms or canisters. I keep thinking they have fallen to their death.

I read once that Pums stop breeding once there tads are in the water. Well my frogs keep breeding. I have a new clutch of 9 eggs (Dorado) and 5 eggs (Cristobal) from mid last week.

Please share your thoughts on this mystery so i can be at peace.

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
if they are falling off, theres really not much you can do. disappearing eggs is pretty common with 2 females though, as a female will eat eggs that are not her own.

its just a waiting game until they happen to get it right. just hang in there and eventually it'll happen.

james

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually that sounds about right. They lay many, but they all don't survive. I had my blue jeans lay 21 eggs , 3 tads made it. It sucks but true.
Daryl
Daryl,
breeding Pums is something new to me so when i did my analysis of the amount of eggs their laying but no signs of rearing, it through me off.

if they are falling off, theres really not much you can do. disappearing eggs is pretty common with 2 females though, as a female will eat eggs that are not her own.

its just a waiting game until they happen to get it right. just hang in there and eventually it'll happen.

james
James,
Just last night another 3 tads fell of a brom. They landed on lead liter and seem to be alive and well. Do you think they will pick them up?

Chances are they are already caring for tads.
Jeff,
Will my Pums still breed even though there carrying for tads?

·
Registered
717 Posts
I have seen my chiriqui pair breed while taking care of tads. I pulled about 8 or 9 froglets from there viv a while back.

·
Registered
100 Posts
place the tads in the broms and the female might look after them. I moved my pair into a new viv and some of there tads into new brom's and the female still looked after them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Maybe try removing one of the females from each tank to see if it is egg eating? It cannot hurt to try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts