Dendroboard banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Would turquoise and bronze Dendrobates auratus dart frogs benefit from a small "water feature" that essentially was a gentle slope (gentle incline to make it safer for them) onto some moss that was placed along the drainage layer? More like an extra wet spot for the frogs to soak in if they want than an actual water feature.

· Super Moderator
1,487 Posts
One of the main points of a drainage layer is that fouled water drains out of the tank and is discarded. This helps remove bacteria from the tank. There was an interesting video from InSitu on this recently, extolling the virtues of their slanted tank bottoms for this purpose...I'll see if I can find it.

· Administrator
5,160 Posts
Would Dendrobates auratus dart frogs benefit from a small "water feature" that essentially was a gentle slope (gentle incline to make it safer for them) onto some moss that was placed along the drainage layer? More like an extra wet spot for the frogs to soak in if they want than an actual water feature.
No. Not really. A water feature is unnecessary.

· Registered
643 Posts
I’ve seen several of your posts inquiring about water features. It’s obvious you’re wanting to incorporate one into your build.

Have you considered making a viv with a water feature or paludarium and then housing something that would need and appreciate the water feature? There are many cool animals out there to fit the bill. I think you’d be happy.

Or

If you’re set on having PDFs; build a viv for your PDF(s) AND build a separate viv(or paludarium) with a water feature. I have built several vivs with successful water features and absolutely love them. I’m not a PDF keeper though. I just do plant-only vivs or paludaria with fish and shrimp (obviously plants too).

Successful(water and moisture well contained) vivs with water features aren’t always the swampy, soggy cesspools they’re made out to be. After a few well engineered builds, you’ll learn from mistakes and improve your design.

I think most of the negative connotations surrounding water features is that many new keepers try to recreate Noah’s Ark. Attempting to fit as many different animals in as small of an enclosure as possible. Never understanding their needs, requirements or basic husbandry. All this while trying to run a river through the middle of the enclosure on their first build.

I’m by no means implying that you’re one of these folks. All of your questions have been guided towards gathering info. You also graciously accept advice given to you. Those two things alone will get you where you need to be in this project and hobby.

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’ve seen several of your posts inquiring about water features. It’s obvious you’re wanting to incorporate one into your build.

Have you considered making a viv with a water feature or paludarium and then housing something that would need and appreciate the water feature? There are many cool animals out there to fit the bill. I think you’d be happy.

Or

If you’re set on having PDFs; build a viv for your PDF(s) AND build a separate viv(or paludarium) with a water feature. I have built several vivs with successful water features and absolutely love them. I’m not a PDF keeper though. I just do plant-only vivs or paludaria with fish and shrimp (obviously plants too).

Successful(water and moisture well contained) vivs with water features aren’t always the swampy, soggy cesspools they’re made out to be. After a few well engineered builds, you’ll learn from mistakes and improve your design.

I think most of the negative connotations surrounding water features is that many new keepers try to recreate Noah’s Ark. Attempting to fit as many different animals in as small of an enclosure as possible. Never understanding their needs, requirements or basic husbandry. All this while trying to run a river through the middle of the enclosure on their first build.

I’m by no means implying that you’re one of these folks. All of your questions have been guided towards gathering info. You also graciously accept advice given to you. Those two things alone will get you where you need to be in this project and hobby.
thank you for the feedback! I'm trying to make the best home for my darts that I can, and all the assistance is really appreciated!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts