Dendroboard banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Howdy fellow frog enthusiasts,

I've been raising a bunch of Ptychadena porosissima tadpoles for almost three months now. I just wanted to post some pictures of the froglets, and to ask if anyone would like to proffer some suggestions as to enclosure size, setup, etc. Needless to say, the frogs on this genus can jump!!! Photos of the adult frogs of this species can be seen on this site.
calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+0311+0455

And, these are mine...

Hope everyone enjoys the photos, and any suggestions on the enclosure would be appreciated. :)

Johanan E. Viljoen

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I did not know this frog. Keep us updated and if you can show some pictures of adult frogs and their viv.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is my greatest pleasure. Thank you for the interest. I will post photos as the little guys grow. They reach a maximum size of 5 cm, so they're not huge, but they are known as rocket frogs because of their jumping abilities...

·
Registered
124 Posts
You probably want an enclosure that has sliding doors that open at the side. Frogs are less likely to jump out of a tank that has small side openings than one with large doors that open at the center. Keep the area underneath the tank clear and keep items for frog catching close by so if they do jump out, they can be easily spotted and caught.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They fill the Sam environmental niche as the Leopard Frog :) The closely-related species, Ptychadena oxyrhynchus, holds the world record for the longest hop by a frog.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Congrats on the froglets! Those guys have some crazy legs when they get big:D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you so much. This is the only batch I've ever managed to raise into such strong metamorphs. The froglets have a SVL of about 8mm, and they can clear 15cm in one jump. I wanted to share some pictures of this little guy, he's a proper frog now :)

Enjoy.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much. This is the only batch I've ever managed to raise into such strong metamorphs. The froglets have a SVL of about 8mm, and they can clear 15cm in one jump. I wanted to share some pictures of this little guy, he's a proper frog now :)

Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
What is the blue on the paper towels? Methylene blue?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That blue, is actually dechlorinator. The majority of our dechlorinators are dyed blue.... We've been having some problems with our tapwater, so I dechlorinated the tank after rinsing it. I use RO water for the frogs, but I rinse the tank with tap water.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It turns out that my tadpole identification skills need some work. It turns out that you are looking at the froggie long-jump champion of the world! Ptychadena oxyrhynchus. I decided to release them back into the wild, due to the fact that adults can jump up to 10 meters, and the froglets are already clearing their enclosure's 30cm High sides, in a single leap, when I open the vivarium....

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
lol, sounds like they are living up to their reputation:D

·
Registered
835 Posts
You probably want an enclosure that has sliding doors that open at the side. Frogs are less likely to jump out of a tank that has small side openings than one with large doors that open at the center. Keep the area underneath the tank clear and keep items for frog catching close by so if they do jump out, they can be easily spotted and caught.
Is the sliding side door based on anything? Just wondering, because whenever I have a flighty frog top opening tanks have been the safest way to go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The frogs are eating, and they only jump when they are frightened.... I'm going to see if I can get them used to me, they're already much calmer than they were. If they don't settle down, I'll release them... Otherwise, I will construct a nice biotope for them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The last tadpole of the batch morphed last night.. There are now five froglets that are eating, and doing well. They are looking more like adults every day, and growing quite fast... The last one will probably begin eating in the next day or two. I will post more photos soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The last little one...

And, two of the older ones.

Thank you for all the kind words, and for all the interest. They do have a ways to go where growing is concerned, but they're growing quickly...

Enjoy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts