Dendroboard banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vast majority of Dendrobatid species are actually doing quite well in the wild.

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Does this mean we can't keep them in our collections anymore?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
This is great news! I wonder if there are other species of Dendrobatidae in this forest. It's unfortunate that the property is only 124 acres though.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
This is great news! I wonder if there are other species of Dendrobatidae in this forest. It's unfortunate that the property is only 124 acres though.
Looking at this map of ProAves' sites: Reservas de la Fundación ProAves - Google Maps
it looks like the park is the yellow dot northwest of Guapi (at least this is their only listed site that fits into the range of P. terribilis). Doesn't the range of A. minutus get pretty close to there? Maybe???

·
Registered
121 Posts
A. minutus ranges from Panamá to Cauca. In fact, minutus southern record is south from this new reserve. Honestly Im not so excited about this new reserve, but maybe this is not the place to discuss it...

Only will say Phyllobates terribilis is maybe the more common of all colombian Phyllobates, living in a big area of well conserved forests. Its a loud secret here, but its real distribution is a lot bigger than the literature says. So, the new reserve, in my opinion, has a strong comercial interest, and ignores the local traditional owners of the land, the afro american communities from Timbiqui. The pacific lowlands are by law a reserve (reseva del pacifico), so buying some hectare in this specific issue wont save the specie, but will work more as a private tourism iniciative, with conservation money.

·
Registered
99 Posts
So, the new reserve, in my opinion, has a strong comercial interest, and ignores the local traditional owners of the land, the afro american communities from Timbiqui. The pacific lowlands are by law a reserve (reseva del pacifico), so buying some hectare in this specific issue wont save the specie, but will work more as a private tourism iniciative, with conservation money.
I would be very interested in knowing more, possible to share? Who benefit from the Proaves reserve? Their own eco volunteer "business"? How are the local communities excluded? Did the locals have the legal ownership to the land?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
Does anybody know if there are any other well-known species of dart frogs that are protected? Nothing too rare, because if it's rare, there is a chance that I've probably never heard of it in my life. :D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts