Dendroboard banner

proposed summer meeting/show (july 31 - august 2)

4K views 31 replies 12 participants last post by  Otis 
#1 ·
With people cutting back on vacations and expenses, and it appears that there will be no east coast or midwest frog shows this year, we would like to determine the level of interest in hosting a meeting/show at our home.
THIS WOULD BE A FREE EVENT FOR ATTENDEES AND VENDORS!

The dates would be Friday evening, June 26th and Saturday, June 27th. Friday evening would be an informal get-together and cookout. Saturday would include; buying, selling, trading and talking frogs. We are also interested in an auction, or some other form of generating donations for Tree Walkers International. We would like to have a volunteer who would like to do a presentation or slide show as well.

We live in Butler, OH, which is about 10 miles from Mansfield. Mansfield is located about halfway between Columbus and Cleveland/Akron. We are about 7 miles off of I-71.
There are several options nearby for lodging. Here are just a few:

Bellville, Ohio hotel close to Mohican State Park - Comfort Inn 44813, OH083
Butler/Mohican KOA
Mohican Resort and Conference Center - Welcome to Mohican Resort & Conference Center
Pleasant Hill Lake
There are several other hotels and areas to camp. Loudonville is nearby and is a very touristy area with canoeing, camping, hiking, etc.
For those of you who can stay an extra day or more, there are several other areas of interest; Kingwood Center and Gardens, Gorman Nature Center, Malabar Farm, Hill's Water Gardens, Amish country (Berlin and Millersburg) and lots more. Here is a link for area activities;
Loudonville, Ohio / Mohican Area Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB) Official Website

We have room for vendors to set up in our barn. Anyone interested in vending, please contact me. My email is lsnow@neo.rr.com. My phone number is 740-501-6272.
Also, anyone who plans to attend, please contact me so we can determine the level of interest.
Based on the responses I get, we will announce by early May whether there is enough interest to hold this meeting/show.
Thank you.

See less See more
#3 ·
We will be there for sure. Anyone coming from NY, MI, or anyone passing through northern Ohio is welcome to stop by our place and carpool or crash to cut driving time. PM me if you think you may need/want to do that. It should be a fun weekend. Larry,s collections of plants, frogs, and geckos are definitely worth the trip.

#6 ·
Another cool tour in the area, one that I want to check out, is the Shawshenk Redemption tour. Parts of the movie were filmed in that area. Seems like it would be very interesting.

#12 ·
Due to work-related issues and minimal overall response, we will not be hosting a meeting in June. We have also decided to part with all of my animals and concentrate on my plant business. We have heard that there is another member in Ohio who is interested in hosting a meeting. Perhaps this will work out for everyone. Thank you to everyone who did respond. I apologize for any inconvenience. I've met many great people in my years in the hobby and made lots of good friends.

#14 ·
I will keep everyone posted, but we will probably have the meeting at our place. The date may be different. I also need to check with my work and see if I can get a discounted rate for people to stay at the lodge. Also, there is a campground in the park. Both are right across the street from my house.

#15 ·
Ok, so this is just to kind of get a feel for good/bad dates for people. I will post in the individual regions too. Are there any dates in late June or July that are bad for anyone? Would Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday be better for most people? We could just have the meeting one day and maybe take a trip to the Cleveland Zoo, the Cleveland Botanical gardens, or a few other places on the other day. Any suggestions and input are welcome. Should be a fun time. We will cookout like we have in the past.

#17 ·
So, we are thinking late July or the first weekend in August would be best. Still have not decided on Friday/Saturday or Saturday/Sunday. Maybe we could do both. If it is better for people to come on Friday, that is fine. And if people want to stay until Sunday, that is fine too. We will work more on field trip ideas or other group activities. But most likely, the main meeting will be on Saturday. There will be a cookout at our house. Any suggestions or ideas are welcome. And once the date is set, people are welcome to post what they will be bringing or looking for.

#19 · (Edited)
Azure89,

You can post a topic in your particular regoin about hosting a meeting to see if there is any interest.

Here is a little more info on camping at the park across from my house. One website has pics of the sites and a campground map. The other is where you can make reservations for your campsites. I had a thought of possibly renting Group site #3 and then anyone that comes can all camp on the same site. It can hold up to 25 people I guess. I have to drive over there and see how big it is.

CAMPGROUND
Online Reservations For Ohio State Parks

So, I have narrowed this down to a few weekends. Let me know what you think.

July 17, 18, and 19

July 31, August 1 and 2(there is a local nature art show this weekend with photos and artwork to purchase. also, the park where the show is is pretty cool. Lots of trails)
Geauga Park District

August 14, 15. and 16

#20 ·
So we decided on July 31- August 2. You can come for all of the days or just one or two. It is kind of a free for all. The main meeting at our house will be on Saturday, I think. And Friday and Sunday we can hang out here, go on field trips, or whatever. Here are a few links to things there will be to do that weekend.

The Holden Arboretum
The Holden Arboretum

The West Woods
The West Woods Hiking Trail Pictures Movie
Geauga Park District

Cleveland Zoo and Rainforest
Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
We can try to contact them to maybe get a behind the scenes tour. Not sure if they do this or not.

The Botanical Gardens
Cleveland Botanical Garden-Outdoor Gardens and Glasshouse cbgarden.org
There is a discount for groups of 15 or more.

We can also go hiking, boating, fishing, swimming, and golfing across the street from my house at Punderson State Park.

If anyone else has any other ideas, please post them.

#21 ·
So, we are about a month away from the meeting. I don't believe that anyone has rented group campsite #3 for the weekend yet. If you can post here for me if you are coming and what days you think you will come and possibly what activities you would be interested in doing, so I can put together a schedule, that would be great. I look forward to seeing/meeting everyone. Thanks. PM me if you have any questions.

#22 · (Edited)
My dad and I are driving up on Friday to look at colleges, so we'll probably stop by your place later on. There's a concert in Buffalo I'm going to on Sunday at 5, so we'll head out around 11ish.

Activities...alpha's shrimp farm sounds awesome, and I'd love to go back to the Cleveland Botanical Gardens again. For anyone who hasn't been there, there's two main rooms, one is modeled after the shrub forests in Madagascar (they have an awesome panther cham in there too) and the other room is a cloud jungle with a ton of butterflies.

#23 ·
I'll be there, probably solo and for 8/1 only. Gotta be home on 8/2 so I can turn 40 and officially be middle aged in the presence of my fam. Gotta celebrate that I'm alive if nothing else!! :)

#24 ·
If no one is getting a campsite, there is some room in my back yard and my neighbors yard for tents. I am sure he won't mind. But last time I checked, the group campsite was still available for $25 a night. I will have two of my own tents set up too for those that may not have their own. I have a firepit that my neighbor made that we can use at night as well. I am going to make a trip to Sams Club to get stuff for burgers and hotdogs. So, if everyone coming could bring something(pop, snacks, side dish, or dessert) that would be great. If you have anything you want to toss on the grill, bring it along.

#25 ·
Would anyone be interested in doing a bulk cork order? I am thinking about buying 25-30 lbs. of virgin cork from Maryland Cork and they don't sell the virgin cork in smaller quantities. The cork I'd be getting is thin virgin cork and is no thicker than in inch, great for backgrounds and mounting plants. If anyone is interested please speak up.

#26 ·
I sent out my address via PM to the people that have said they plan to come. If you did not get it, please PM and I will send it to you. Seems like it will be a great meeting. Hope to see you there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.