Dendroboard banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
So, we are about a month away from the meeting. I don't believe that anyone has rented group campsite #3 for the weekend yet. If you can post here for me if you are coming and what days you think you will come and possibly what activities you would be interested in doing, so I can put together a schedule, that would be great. I look forward to seeing/meeting everyone. Thanks. PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
My dad and I are driving up on Friday to look at colleges, so we'll probably stop by your place later on. There's a concert in Buffalo I'm going to on Sunday at 5, so we'll head out around 11ish.

Activities...alpha's shrimp farm sounds awesome, and I'd love to go back to the Cleveland Botanical Gardens again. For anyone who hasn't been there, there's two main rooms, one is modeled after the shrub forests in Madagascar (they have an awesome panther cham in there too) and the other room is a cloud jungle with a ton of butterflies.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I'll be there, probably solo and for 8/1 only. Gotta be home on 8/2 so I can turn 40 and officially be middle aged in the presence of my fam. Gotta celebrate that I'm alive if nothing else!! :)

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If no one is getting a campsite, there is some room in my back yard and my neighbors yard for tents. I am sure he won't mind. But last time I checked, the group campsite was still available for $25 a night. I will have two of my own tents set up too for those that may not have their own. I have a firepit that my neighbor made that we can use at night as well. I am going to make a trip to Sams Club to get stuff for burgers and hotdogs. So, if everyone coming could bring something(pop, snacks, side dish, or dessert) that would be great. If you have anything you want to toss on the grill, bring it along.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Would anyone be interested in doing a bulk cork order? I am thinking about buying 25-30 lbs. of virgin cork from Maryland Cork and they don't sell the virgin cork in smaller quantities. The cork I'd be getting is thin virgin cork and is no thicker than in inch, great for backgrounds and mounting plants. If anyone is interested please speak up.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I sent out my address via PM to the people that have said they plan to come. If you did not get it, please PM and I will send it to you. Seems like it will be a great meeting. Hope to see you there.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
If anyone need my address or phone number, please let me know ASAP. Also, is anyone planning on only attending on Sunday? I am hoping to be able to go to the botanical gardens and/or zoo on Sunday and I would hate to leave if anyone was coming to my house for that day. Please let me know. See you soon.

·
Registered
675 Posts
It was great seeing all you guys, and meeting some of you in person for the first time.

Otis, I am still having the heebie jeebies seeing your toes squishing through that muck and grime. ;)

Thanks all for the hospitality and the chance to see people and frogs not seen before. Hope you all had a safe trip and visit. Looking forward to seeing you all again some day.

john

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Thanks to Tony and Stacey for hosting the meeting. It was fun tramping through the woods looking for rabid fuzzy kittens. Herpwise, we saw:

Thamnophis sp. (looked like sirtalis)
Plethodon cinereus
Rana clamitans - plus two huge egg masses
Psudacris crucifer
Bufo americanus

Appreciate the plants, Emily - I'll try not to kill too many of them!

It was fun putting faces to names - we'll have to do it again some time.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
So, after hunting for caterpillars for a week and finding nothing, Emily found two good sized monarch caterpillars for me at the park we hiked at. So, today, Ron, Tammy, and I went to Holden Arboretum to take pics and look for more. We found five tiny caterpillars and quite a few eggs. I took home the caterpillars and 6 eggs. I figured since I now know where to look for the eggs and what they look like, I would look on the milkweed plants that I have growing at home for eggs. I found 11 caterpillars. Can you believe it? I have going to need more milkweed leaves to feed these guys. Good thing I now know where to find tons of milkweed. Thanks guys.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts