Dendroboard banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
There is a feed back system in place called iTrader, though it is underused. Click on a person's name and then select 'View Public Profile'.

Can you please PM me the name of the vendor selling WC blue jeans on Dendroboard?

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is a great thread. I'm relatively new to all this but I've recently purchased 8 frogs from 2 online vendors. One from an actual "online Store" and one from someone on here who saw my add in the "wanted" section. Both of these went very well for me and I feel its because I took the time to figure out what I am paying for.

Its pretty simply... I follow the "buyer Beware" adage and get any and all information possible from the vendor, even if its awkward or even slightly rude. This is my money and I as the consumer have the right to feel comfortable in the purchase. No one should ever complain about a purchase unless they were out right lied to and can prove it somehow.

Its YOUR obligation as a consumer to be smart and not get duped. Its the vendors obligation to be cordial, as well as willing, open and honest in all questions asked and in the exchange in general.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I'm glad you brought this back up.
I was thinking of posting a thread titled "Who's chosing your frogs?"
This thread pretty much covers it.
I was just thinking that, if a vendor has say 12 frogs 2 - 6 months OOW. If you are the first to order a few, which frogs do you suppose they would chose to send out? Their best few or ???

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Another information gathering tool, that I don't think was mentioned in this thread yet, is to use the DB advanced search and skim the person’s posting history. You can do a little cross checking, for example if they are asking about temps, or what to feed 6 months ago, it would be pretty obvious that they have not been in the hobby long. If they responded to an ad for WC adult tinctorius, and later are selling CB adult tincs, you would want to be asking more critical questions of the tincs origins. Another thing that I have seen pop up a few times that may not be technically wrong, but I am very uneasy about a DB member that sells a collection, often citing financial problems, moving, or illness, which is fine, but then I see the same person posting in less than a year, or even a month or two later, and are buying frogs again and then selling again. I tend to view this as a sophisticated form of flipping and would use a lot more caution with dealing with this person. Although I personally find the responses to classifieds kind of irritating, on the other hand, they provide some good insight to a person’s buying/selling background.

People forget they are leaving a written record when they post here (or at least I know I do). Some people also forget that the rest of us are not so dumb that we cannot read that record.

Sally

·
Premium Member
5,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
^ In that case, I 'could' have discovered a lot by communicating with other froggers and simply googling the 'vendor' in this case.

I was naive, and trusting, and in the end, despite my trying [and expecting] to do this import properly [I have a license and did the req PW at the time], I was led along with a scam.

The 'red flags' were there to be seen, if I was looking.....

Best to just stick with the people you know, and trust and if it looks too good to be true, it is.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have some thoughts regarding sales transactions, and buyer responsibilities.

1- There are issues stem from the "live guarantee" for vendors/sellers. I feel it's something vendors/sellers are almost forced to have do, ultimately ending with the blame being on the vendor; no matter what happens. I'm relatively new to keeping PDFs and have had only 4 deliveries. Every single one went without a hitch ---- having done my'due diligence' prior to my purchases. This includes the consideration of the location from where the shipment is being sent. I'm sure vendors/sellers are happy for being able to track shipments , especially 'pick-up' times.

2- Sadly, vendors need to ask more questions of the person making the purchase. They need to make 'demands' of the buyer.

3-I believe it's a privileged to purchase a frog. I believe it's my responsibility to meet the truck when it pulls into the FedEx hub, and not wait until 4 pm when I get off from work just because I have a live guarantee

Lynn

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree completely with Lynn / flybyferns about buyers doing there half of making sure we as buyers do everything we can to ensure live arrival. If that means taking a day off then do so. These frogs did not ask to be put in a box and flown across the country or world. It is our responsibility as keepers of any animals that we do everything we can to care for these animals. No matter if they are frogs, fish, snails, or dogs. We are putting them in situation out of their control. With that said I do support live arrival guarantees. There are many unscrupulous vendors out there that would and do send animals that should not have been shipped. Animals that are sick stressed or generally unfit for travel. FWISW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Went back and read the whole thread--one post by Srrrio from 5/ll was really worth reading again for someone contemplating buying frogs online...suggestions like the poster's should be burned in the brain...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Recently had a pretty terrible experience with a largely known online dealer. Plants all came in terrible shape and microfauna was nearly all dead in several cultures. I was pretty steamed at first and wanted to write a bad review but after Contacting the Seller FIRST he ended up making it right and I was pretty satisfied with replacements for most of the dead.

Pays to be patient because most of the time people want to do a good job for their customers.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts