Dendroboard banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if there was anyone else who has CB froglets from the recent imports who is having problems after the first couple of months? I've lost some froglets to symptoms that appear similar to frogs that do not have enough calcium (spastic legs, etc). Not sure if that is the actual problem but the symptoms are similar. They are raised pretty exclusively on springtails for the first month and then a mixture of springtails and ffs at which point the ffs are dusted. The odd thing is that I have some basti froglets from cb adults (and other thumbs) that are raised the exact same way that are not having these problems. I've raised all my pumilio and thumb froglets the same way for years and this is the first time I have seen this problem and like I said it's only been in the f1 froglets from FR bastis, FR chiriquis and FR man creeks. I know of one other frogger who lost some chriqui froglets to the same "condition" and am wondering if there are others.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ive had this happen to my basti froglets that were from captive bred parents.
They were fed nearly exclusively springtails because they would lose weight when only the flies were offered. Have you tried the calcium gluconate soak to bring them back? Any UV light?

I have a basti about to leave the brom in a couple days and would like to see what others are trying.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Years ago I experienced the same thing with blue jeans from wc parents. The frogs and froglets were dusted the same as all my other frogs and only the pums ever showed signs of calcium deficiency. The froglets were reared on parasitic wasps, springtails, ff, and even in one case, meadow plankton. I now supply UVB to all my blue jeans and dust a couple times a week with plain calcium powder. It could have been a fluke but I wonder if some populations are just more susceptible.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I am having the same problem with two Almirante froglets that were the first offspring from the first FR batch. I've had them a little over a month, they have been feeding on springtails. I've tried dusting the springtails (not sure how much stuck to them though). The're growing fine but when I mist or startle the frogs, they have seizures. I've also started soaking them for 20-30 mins in a soaking solution made by Walkabout Farms that has calcium in it. The only problem is, they have seizures when I put them in and they have seizures when I take them out. Other than that, they are eating fine and have doubled their size since getting them. They are just starting to eat fruitflys but if I put to many in, it causes them to seize, not enough and they don't find them to eat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts